Services in Ärjänsaari
Customer Service and Guidance
- There is an information board near the Säippä boat jetty on Ärjänsaari Island.
- You can obtain more information on Ärjänsaari Island from Kuhmo Visitor Centre Petola or by emailing to kajaani(at)metsa.fi or Petola(at)metsa.fi
Services Offered by Enterprises and Organisations in Ärjänsaari
- Partners who provide services on Ärjänsaari Island
- These partners have signed a cooperation agreement with Metsähallitus and follow the principles of sustainable nature tourism in their activities in the nature reserve.
- The partners provide guided excursions, as well as food, transport and accommodation services. They also rent out hiking equipment.
Meals, Where to Buy and Prepare
- Säippä, Hautakaarre: campfire sites
- The Vierasniemi campfire site is only meant for those customers who have rented Vierasniemi for their private use
- Karkeapää: a campfire site next to the day-use hut (Please note! Bring your own firewood)
- The Säippä tent area: a cooking shelter and a solar power charging point for mobile phones.
Making an open fire is forbidden when a forest fire warning is in effect.
The cooker with a chimney in the Säippä cooking shelter may also be used when a forest fire warning is in effect.
- There is a well in the yard of the old café building. The quality of the well water has been studied. You may drink and use it without boiling.
- The other waters in the area are natural waters, and their quality has not been studied. Their use is at your own risk. It is advisable to boil surface water (such as water from lakes, rivers and streams) for a few minutes before drinking it, since water quality varies from one area to another and it also depends on the water temperature.
The visitors to Ärjänsaari Island must follow the principles of litter-free outdoor activities. The main principle is that hikers take their own litter away with them. Ärjänsaari adheres to the principles of litter-free hiking. Biodegradable waste should be placed in a dry toilet or composter, and small amounts of clean paper and cardboard can be used as kindling in a campfire. More information on Hiking without Littering.
There are two new buildings with a dry toilet and a shed on Ärjänsaari Island. One of them is located in the Säippä area, close to the summer café, the other within a sheep pasture, close to the old white café building. The small dry toilets close to the rental cabins and the Vierasniemi dry toilet are only meant for those who have rented the cabins.
There are four rental cabins which can be rented from the Eräluvat webshop (eraluvat.fi). Other rental cabins are currently being renovated, but they are not yet available.
- The tent sites are located in the Säippä tent area.
- The Kalamaja day-use hut provides shelter from the weather. Please note that there is no dry toilet or woodshed at the Kalamaja hut. Bring your own firewood.
Overnight Stays in the Surrounding Area
- You can find information on tourist services in the Lake Oulujärvi area from the Visit Kajaani website (visitkajaani.fi).
- As regards the other services provided in the nearby municipalities, you can find more information from the websites of Kajaani (kajaani.fi), Paltamo (paltamo.fi), Vaala (vaala.fi) and Sotkamo (sotkamo.fi). For Kuhmo and Suomussalmi, please visit the Wild Taiga (wildtaiga.fi) website.
There are ramps for the disabled to the buildings with a dry toilet and a shed. The sandy shores are soft, so the shore areas are not entirely accessible for all, but an assistant is required.
There are no other services that are accessible for all.
Please contact our partner companies, if you plan to visit Ärjänsaari Island with a wheelchair or pushchair.
Other Services in the Surrounding Area
- The closest shops, banks, service stations and other services are available in Kajaani, Paltamo and Vuolijoki.
(Pdf File, 2 Mb, julkaisut.metsa.fi)
A bilingual, Finnish-English version (Pdf 1.2 MB, publications.metsa.fi) of the Ärjänsaari brochure has also been made.