Hamskeri is one of the largest and tallest islands in the Oura archipelago. Stone ruins in the inner parts of the island used to shelter fishermen when they stayed on the island overnight. The name of the island derives from a port, so perhaps the island has had more maritime traffic than usual.
Merikarvia, Coordinates (WGS84): P 61˚50,701' I 21˚19,866'
Directions and maps
- The nearest port accessible by car is the Krookka guest harbour Euref-Fin (~ WGS84) lat: 61°51,121' lon:21° 865´ ETRS-TM35FIN: N: 6870022 E: 209796
- Topographic map 1:50 000N313 - Merikarvia v. 2010
- Basic map 1:25 000 N3134 - Merikarvia year 2009, Basic map 1:25 000 N3133 - Reveli year 2009
- Nautical chart series E Bothnian Sea, 1:50 000.
Access by boat
There is a sign towards the Hamskeri Island from the Ouraluoto channel, with an indicative depth of 1.2 m.
Services in Hamskeri
- Pier: side-on mooring, 1.2 m
- Nature trail
- Lean-to shelters
- Campfire sites
- Picnic shelter
Tours to Hamskeri Island
Metsähallitus' partner companies offer boat trips to Hamskeri on request.
- Lighting any campfires is strictly forhibited if the forest fire warning or the grass fire warning is in effect. Always check the current warnings (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi). This prohibition does not apply to cooking shelters or other fireplaces with a flue. There are no cooking shelters or other fireplaces with a flue on the island.
- You have to bring your own drinking water
- Pets must be kept on a leash when moving around the island.
- Keep to the trails during the period 1.5 – 15.7 in order not to disturb the birdlife during the nesting season.
- Read more about mobile phone coverage (112.fi).
- Protecting yourself against ticks and insects
- Check which fishing licenses you need (eraluvat.fi).
112 Emergency Number
If you have an emergency during your trip, such as getting lost, injured or finding a wildfire, call 112. Read more detailed emergency instructions.
Download the 112 Finland application (112.fi) to your phone. When an emergency call is made through the 112 Finland application, the emergency centre attendant is automatically informed of the caller's location.
It is recommended to keep the mobile phone warm and to bring extra food and water with you. There are many excursion locations with no mobile coverage and some mobile phones does not work in sub-zero temperatures, that is why it is always a good idea to let someone know about your itinerary and timetable.