Mässkär nature information station is a former pilot and coast guard building that has been renovated for tourist use. Metsähallitus has rented out the location to Mässkärs lotstation rf, a private association.
In addition to the nature information station, the island of Mässkär also houses about 50 private holiday homes.
Connections and Maps
- The closest harbours which can be reached by car are Ådö fishing harbour. Adress: Ådövägen 470, 68620 Jakobstad.
- Topographic map Q334 1:50 000,
- Nautical chart series 957 Merenkurkku 1:250 000
- Jakobstadmap (jakobstad.fi)
- A marked fairway leads to Mässkär pier (solrutten.fi).
- Information on Mässkär pier (solrutten.fi)
- Boat transport (masskar.fi)
- Mooring with buoys, depth 2,4 -3,0 m
- Information on Mässkärs pier (solrutten.fi)
- Information on harbour service (masskar.fi)
- Reservation rooms for approx. 25 people, 2-4 person bedrooms
- Accommodation can booked (masskar.fi, in finnish an swedish)
Café & Restaurang
- Mässkär Nature trail has its starting point on the grounds of the nature station.
- Campfire site
- Dry toilet
- Information boards
- Benches and table
- A waste disposal terminal maintained by the Keep the Archipelago Tidy Association (pidasaaristosiistina.fi) is situated by pier.
- Lighting any campfires is strictly forhibited if the forest fire warning or the grass fire warning is in effect. Always check the current warnings (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi). This prohibition does not apply to cooking shelters or other fireplaces with a flue. There are no cooking shelters or other fireplaces with a flue on the island.
- You have to bring your own drinking water
- Pets must be kept on a leash when moving around the island.
- Keep to the trails during the period 1.5 – 15.7 in order not to disturb the birdlife during the nesting season.
- Read more about mobile phone coverage (112.fi).
- Protecting yourself against ticks and insects
- Check which fishing licenses you need (eraluvat.fi).
112 Emergency Number
If you have an emergency during your trip, such as getting lost, injured or finding a wildfire, call 112. Read more detailed emergency instructions.
Download the 112 Finland application (112.fi) to your phone. When an emergency call is made through the 112 Finland application, the emergency centre attendant is automatically informed of the caller's location.
It is recommended to keep the mobile phone warm and to bring extra food and water with you. There are many excursion locations with no mobile coverage and some mobile phones does not work in sub-zero temperatures, that is why it is always a good idea to let someone know about your itinerary and timetable.