Services in Bothnian Bay National Park
Customer Service and Guidance
- Please contact Liminka Bay Visitor Centre.
Services Offered by Enterprises and Organisations in the National Park
- Enterprises and organisations offering services in the Bothnian Bay national park. They have a cooperation agreement with Metsähallitus and they follow the principles of sustainable nature tourism when operating in the national park.
Meals, Where to Buy and Prepare
Cafés, Restaurants and Shops
- There are several cafés, restaurants and markets in the towns of Kemi (visitkemi.fi) and Tornio (haparandatornio.com).
Campfire Sites and huts
- There is a campfire hut near the harbour of Selkä-Sarvi Island. The fireplace of the hut has a flue.
- Campfires can only be lit at the north-end of Selkä-Sarvi Island and on Vähä-Huituri Island at designated campfire sites.
- Campfire sites have firewood shelters and dry toilets.
- Making open fires is always prohibited at both marked campfire sites and when fires are permitted by the land owner if a forest fire warning has been issued for the area (ilmatieteenlaitos.fi).
- This prohibition does not apply to cooking shelters or other fireplaces with a flue.
- Visitors must bring their own drinking water. The water of the well in the Selkä-Sarvi Island fishing village is not suitable for drinking.
- There are no waste-bins in the park. Measures should be taken in advance to avoid taking unnecessary waste into the area. Biodegradable waste should be placed in a dry toilet or composter, and small amounts of clean paper and cardboard can be used as kindling in a campfire. Read more about Hiking without littering.
- There are dry toilets at the north and south end of Selkä-Sarvi Island, at the Vähä-Huituri campfire site and in the fishing village on Pensaskari Island.
A camping site can be found at the north-end of Selkä-Sarvi Island.
Open and Reservable Wilderness Huts
- Suitable places for boaters to spend the night are the excursion harbour at the north-end of Selkä-Sarvi Island and the landing places on the islands of Iso-Huituri and Pensaskari.
Lodging in the Surrounding Area
- There are no special accessible services in the area.
Services for Boaters
- The waterways to the National Park's islands are not marked.
- From Tornio an 8 metre deep route cuts through the National Park.
Excursion Harbours and Landing Places
- The excursion harbour at the north-end of Selkä-Sarvi island can fit 10-20 boats, with a maximum draught of 2,5 metres, depending on how the boats are anchored. Euref-Fin (~ WGS84) lat: 65° 36.9' lon: 24° 12.0' ETRS-TM35FIN: N: 7279868 E: 371038.
- At the north-end of Pensaskari island there is a harbour (Euref-Fin (~ WGS84) lat: 65° 40.7750' lon: 24° 13.7482' ETRS-TM35FIN: N: 7287001 E: 372696) and a buoy (Euref-Fin (~ WGS84) lat: 65° 40.7685' lon: 24° 13.4425' ETRS-TM35FIN: N: 7287000 E: 372462). Overnight stay is not allowed at Pensaskari. For overnight stay one should use the harbour at Selkä-Sarvi island.
- The shores of island are shallow and rocky, so landing on most shores is impossible with a large boat. A rowboat or dinghy are the best way to access these shores.
Boat Launch Ramps
- The sailing centre (purjehduskeskus) at Ulleninranta in Kemi has a concrete covered boat launch ramp.
- The Myllyniemi service harbour at Sotisaari in Kemi has a gravel covered boat launch ramp.
- Other places with boat launch ramps are Letto inTornio and Ajos in Kemi.
Other Services for Boaters in the Surrounding Area
- The sailing centre (purjehduskeskus) (Euref-Fin (~ WGS84) lat: 65° 43.7' lon: 24° 33.5' ETRS-TM35FIN: N: 7291805 E: 388025) at Ulleninranta in Kemi has facilities such as; electrical supply points, suction draining, chemical toilet waste disposal, showers, a laundry machine, waste bins and a public phone.
- Toranda service harbour in Tornio, restaurant, water, electrical supply points, shower, sauna.