Instructions and Rules in Southern Konnevesi National Park
Instructions on Exploring Southern Konnevesi
In the National Park, the following are
- Walking, skiing, rowing and canoeing
- Avoid landing on small islands and islets during the nesting season for birds, from 15 April to 31 July.
- Mountain biking is allowed only on roads and clearly visible tracks. Pay attention to other hikers.
For temporarily camping, please use the environs of rest stops.
- Picking berries and mushrooms
- There are several fishing spots on the rapids next to the national park. For more information on fishing options, please contact the local authorities of Konnevesi (konnevedenkosket.fi, in Finnish) or Rautalampi (rautalampi.fi).
- Hook and line fishing and ice fishing are permitted under everyman's rights in the lakes.
- Lure fishing with a single rod is permitted in the lakes. Persons aged 18-64 years must pay the fisheries management fee (eräluvat.fi). Fishing permits are available from Metsähallitus' online shop (eraluvat.fi)
- Fishers need to check the restrictions on fishing sites at kalastusrajoitus.fi (In Finnish).
- Lighting campfires is only allowed at sites marked for this purpose and when the forest fire warning or the grass fire warning is not in effect. Check the current warnings (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi).
- As a rule, a permit issued by Metsähallitus is required for activities other than those included in everyman's rights, which may include research and organised events. Further information on required permits: research and access permits (metsa.fi) and permits and notifications related to events (metsa.fi).
- Lighting campfires if the forest fire warning or the grass fire warning is in effect. Check the current warnings (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi).
- In Southern Konnevesi nationalpark this prohibition applies also to cooking shelters or other fireplaces with a flue.
- Pets running at large
- Taking or damaging trees, bushes, other plants or their parts, or mushrooms other than edible ones
- Damaging soil or rock, and extraction of earth material or minerals
- Killing, catching or disturbing wild vertebrates, or damaging their nests
- Catching or collecting invertebrates
- Driving motor vehicles, except on roads designated for motor vehicles
- Leaving waste in the area, or damaging constructions
Prepare in advance and hike safely
To get the most out of your experience in the wild, plan your trip carefully and find out about the local conditions.
- Due to the steep terrain, some hiking terrain in the area is difficult, even on trails. Hikers should wear sturdy hiking boots.
- Please pay particular attention to safety on the water, since strong winds often blow on the wide open waters of Southern Konnevesi and the waves can be high. If you do not know the waters well, do not venture outside the marked routes. Plenty of shallows and underwater rocks are lurking at surprising locations in Southern Konnevesi.
- If you face an emergency on your hike, e.g. get lost, get injured or observe wildfire, call 112 and report an emergency. More information on how to act in an emergency.
- Make sure you pack a first-aid kit.
- Hiking in Finland:
Mobile Phone Coverage
- Although Finland has a broad network for mobile phones, there are some areas in the park without signal. There may also be some smaller spots where there is interference. If this happens try to climb to a higher place or go into an open area. It may be worth removing the SIM card from your phone and then trying again to make emergency call. Different phones also differ in their coverage.
- We recommend that you keep your mobile phone warm at all times and take along food and drink. Certain phone models do not work when the temperature falls below zero. You should therefore let someone know your planned route. To keep your mobile phone charged, bring along a spare power source, a spare battery or an old phone with a working battery.
Take the right equipment along when venturing on a trip by land or water:
- Mandatory equipment on hiking trips includes sturdy hiking boots, clothing suitable for the weather and a full flask of water.
- Mandatory equipment on a boating or canoeing trip includes a life jacket, headgear and clothing suitable for the weather.
- You should always carry a map or travel with a companion who is very familiar with the area, and take along a first-aid kit.
- The liveliest boating season on Southern Konnevesi extends from midsummer to the end of July. Otherwise, the liveliest periods are during school holidays and weekends in the autumn.
112 Emergency Number
If you have an emergency during your trip, such as getting lost, injured or finding a wildfire, call 112. Read more detailed emergency instructions.
Download the 112 Finland application (112.fi) to your phone. When an emergency call is made through the 112 Finland application, the emergency center attendant is automatically informed of the caller's location.
It is recommended to keep the mobile phone warm and to bring extra food and water with you. There are many excursion locations with no mobile coverage and some mobile phones does not work in sub-zero temperatures, that is why it is always a good idea to let someone know about your itinerary and timetable.
When the forest fire warning or the grass fire warning is in effect, open fires are prohibited on every campfire site in Southern Konnevesi nationalpark. In Southern Konnevesi nationalpark this prohibition applies also to cooking shelters or other fireplaces with a flue. Check the current warnings (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi).