Kuuskajaskari used to be an army base and has been used as a grazing island and as a base for fishermen since the 17th century. The Finnish Defence Forces' coastal and training battery has also operated on this fortress island.
You can visit the forested Kuuskajaskari Island by water bus or your own boat.
Read more about Kuuskajaskari Island.
Directions and maps
- The nearest port accessible by the car is Merijakamo on the Suvitie road, Rauma
- Topographic map 1:50 000 M314 Rauma
- Basic map 1:25 000 M3143 Rauma
Services in Kuuskajaskari
- Approximately 30 places at the pier
- Accommodation, café and restaurant services
- Meeting services
- Nature trail
Trips to Kuuskajaskari
- Water bus (raumansaaristokuljetus.fi, in Finnish)
- Metsähallitus' partner companies offer boat trips to Kuuskajaskari on request.
- Lighting any campfires is strictly forhibited if the forest fire warning or the grass fire warning is in effect. Always check the current warnings (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi). This prohibition does not apply to cooking shelters or other fireplaces with a flue. There are no cooking shelters or other fireplaces with a flue on the island.
- You have to bring your own drinking water
- Pets must be kept on a leash when moving around the island.
- Keep to the trails during the period 1.5 – 15.7 in order not to disturb the birdlife during the nesting season.
- Read more about mobile phone coverage (112.fi).
- Protecting yourself against ticks and insects
- Check which fishing licenses you need (eraluvat.fi).
112 Emergency Number
If you have an emergency during your trip, such as getting lost, injured or finding a wildfire, call 112. Read more detailed emergency instructions.
Download the 112 Finland application (112.fi) to your phone. When an emergency call is made through the 112 Finland application, the emergency centre attendant is automatically informed of the caller's location.
It is recommended to keep the mobile phone warm and to bring extra food and water with you. There are many excursion locations with no mobile coverage and some mobile phones does not work in sub-zero temperatures, that is why it is always a good idea to let someone know about your itinerary and timetable.