Services in Kemihaara Wilderness Area
Customer Service and Guidance
- Savukoski Visitor Centre Korvatunturi and Pyhä-Luosto Visitor Centre Naava provide information about the area.
Services offered by enterprises and other organisations in Kemihaara Wilderness Area
- Following enterprises and other organisations offer services in the Wilderness Area
- They have a cooperation agreement with Metsähallitus and they follow the principles of sustainable nature tourism when operating in the Wilderness Area.
Meals, Where to Buy and Prepare
Shops and Kiosks
- The closest shops are in the villages of Savukoski website (savukoski.fi, in Finnish) and Lokka.
- In Kemihaara there is a lodging enterprise and has restaurant services. It is housed at an old border crossing station.
- It is possible to prepare meals at Uittipiekka open and reservable wilderness hut.
- You must always have the landowner's permission before lighting a campfire.
- It is prohibited to light campfires even in the designated campfire sites if the forest fire warning or the grass fire warning is in effect. Check the current warnings (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi). However, it is allowed to use a camping cooker.
This prohibition does not apply to stoves in Uittipiekka open and reservable wilderness hut.
- Natural waters in the area is normally suitable for drinking, but it is recommended to boil the water before drinking.
- There is a waste container at Kemihaara parking area.
- Biodegradable waste should be placed in a dry toilet or composter, and small amounts of clean paper and cardboard can be used as kindling in a campfire.
- There are waste bins at the wilderness huts, but visitors are asked to bring their own waste out of the wilderness area.
- Read more about visitor guidelines and Outdoor Etiquette.
- There are dry toilets at Uittipiekka open and reservable wilderness hut and at Kemihaara parking area.
- There are no camping sites within the wilderness area, but you may camp there as it is an Everyman's Right (environment.fi).
Open and Reservable Wilderness Huts
- Uittipiekka open and reservable wilderness hut is located in the wilderness area.
- The reservable wilderness hut can be booked at the Eräluvat-webstore or by contacting Pyhä-Luosto Visitor Centre Naava.
Lodging in the Surrounding Area
- In Kemihaara there is a lodging enterprise at a former border crossing station.
- Information on other places offering accommodation can be found on the municipality of Savukoski website (savukoski.fi, in Finnish).
- Local tourist enterprises rent hiking equipment. For information on local enterprises visit the municipality of Savukoski website (savukoski.fi, in Finnish).
Service for the Disabled
- There are no special services for the disabled in the area.
Other Services in the Surrounding Area
Check for Warnings
When forest and grass fire warnings (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi) are in effect, fire is only allowed at covered campfire sites that have a flue. A fire can be also lit in fireplaces at wilderness and other huts. Always use extreme caution when handling fire. The one who lights a fire is always responsible for its safe use. Please note, that making fire at these campfire sites can be banned locally.
Gathering at the campfire sites increases the risk of coronavirus infection. Guidelines concerning coronavirus COVID-19.