Services in Kauhaneva-Pohjankangas National Park
Services Offered by Enterprises and Organisations in the National Park
- Enterprises and organisations offering services in the national park
- They have a cooperation agreement with Metsähallitus and they follow the principles of sustainable nature tourism when operating in the national park.
Meals, where to buy and prepare
Campfire Sites and Lean-to Shelters
- Nummikangas: campfire place
- Salomaa Lean-to Shelter: campfire place
- Katikanluoma Lean-to Shelter: campfire place
Please note that lighting campfires is forbidden also at the campfire places if the forest fire warning or the grass fire warning is in effect. Check the current warnings (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi).
- This prohibition does not apply to cooking shelters or other fireplaces with a flue and a roof.
- There is a well at Salomaa camping site. We recommend boiling or otherwise cleaning the water before use as the water contains coliform bacteria.
- There ia a well at the Nummikangas campfire place. The water is suitable for drinking.
- Surface water, such as water from lakes, rivers and brooks should be boiled before drinking, because the quality of the water varies in different areas.
- There are no waste-bins in the area. Measures should be taken in advance to avoid taking unnecessary waste into the area. Biodegradable waste should be placed in a dry toilet and small amounts of clean paper and cardboard can be used as kindling in a campfire. Toilets at the parking places are emptied with suction. Do not put any food waste or other garbage in them.
- Read more about Hiking without Littering
- There are dry toilets near the campfire places.
- Camping is allowed at Salomaa camping site, south of Lake Kauhalammi.
- At Katikankanjoni you can spend the night in the Lean-to Shelter of Katikanluoma
Lodging in the Surrounding Area
- More information on accommodation in the surrounding area can be found on the website of the municipality of Karvia (karvia.fi, in Finnish) and the town of Kauhajoki (kauhajoki.fi, in Finnish).
- You can also accessible explore the mires of Kauhanevan-Pohjankangas. Read more about accessible services in Kauhaneva-Pohjankangas.
Other Services in the Surrounding Area
- There are all the basic services in the centre of the municipality of Karvia, 11 km away.
Sights in the Surrounding Area
- Lauhanvuori-Hämeenkangas UNESCO Global Geopark (lhgeopark.fi)
- Mustansaarenkeidas is a protected mire at Isojoki, where there are 1,3 km long circular duckboard trail (also suitable for wheelchail users) and an observation tower. The area is managed by Metsähallitus.
- Hyypänjokilaakso in Kauhajoki is a landscape area of national value.
- Lauhanvuori National Park