Customer Service and Guidance
- Savukoski Visitor Centre Korvatunturi
- Pyhä-Luosto Visitor Centre Naava
- At Kairijoen eräkeskus (Kairiver Oy, kairiver.com) there is an information board about the area
Meals, Where to Buy and Prepare
The closest food stores are located in Savukoski and Tanhua village.
Campfire Sites, Cooking Shelters and Toilets
Along Kairijoki river there are several lean-to shelters and cooking shelters of Metsähallitus with firewood maintenance and composting dry toilets:
- Yläkairi, cooking shelter (excursionmap.fi)
- Karppisenpirtti, laavu (excursionmap.fi)
- Majavasokka, lean-to shelter (excursionmap.fi)
- Majavakoski, lean-to shelter (excursionmap.fi)
- Satkovittikko, lean-to shelter (excursionmap.fi)
- Vasasuvanto, cooking shelter (excursionmap.fi)
- Saunavaara, cooking shelter (excursionmap.fi)
- Aartoniva, lean-to shelter (excursionmap.fi)
Also along Kairijoki river there are some cooking shelters and lean-to shelters without firewood and dry toilet maintenance:
- Järvimuotka, kota-hut, no firewood maintenance (excursionmap.fi)
- Alempi Vasaoja, lean-to shelter, no firewood maintenance (excursionmap.fi)
- Sormijokisuu, lean-to shelter, no firewood maintenance
- Kuritsa, lean-to shelter, no firewood maintenance (excursionmap.fi)
- Ylempi Vasaoja, lean-to shelter, no firewood maintenance (excursionmap.fi)
- Murkinahauta, tulipaikka, no firewood maintenance (excursionmap.fi)
- Riekkohauta, lean-to shelter, no firewood maintenance (excursionmap.fi)
It is prohibited to light campfires even in the designated campfire sites if the forest fire warning or the grass fire warning is in effect. Check the current warnings (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi).
- The prohibition does not apply to cooking shelters at Yläkairi, Vasasuvanto, and Saunavaara.
- More information about lighting campfires can be found at Hiking in Finland.
- The toilets in the area are composting dry toilets. Do not insert bottles, cans or any sort of waste in the toilets. The general guideline in the nature is to hike litter-free: take back with you everything you have brought along.
Surface water of Kairijoki should be boiled for a couple of minutes before consumption, as the water quality may have variation in different areas and in relation to the water temperature.
Compostable trash can be put into the dry toilet. Small amounts of paper and cardboard can be used to make a fire. Everything else you have brought should be also taken back. There are no waste maintenance in the area. Every hiker and fisher should take care of their own waste. Read more on Visitor guidelines and Outdoor Etiquette.
Overnight Stay and Other Services in the Area
In the Kairijoki area, visitors may camp on the lean-to shelters and in accordance with Everyman's Right elsewhere.
Kairijoen eräkeskus (Kairiver Oy, kairiver.com) offers cabin rental and a camping area for trailers.
In Savukoski there are several local companies offering accommodation. More information can be found from the Savukoski municipality tourism pages (korvatunturi.fi).
More information on the other nature destinations in Savukoski area can be found from Savukoski visitor center Korvatunturi.
There are no accessible marked routes or services in Kairijoki area.
Services Offered by Enterprises in Kairijoki Area
The following enterprises offer services in the Kairijoki area. They have a cooperation agreement with Metsähallitus and they follow the principles of sustainable nature tourism (metsa.fi) when operating in protected areas.
- Kairijoen Eräkeskus Kairiver Oy (kairiver.fi), Kairijoki
- Cabin accommodation, equipment rental, restaurant
- Samperin Savotta (samperi.com), Savukoski
- Hotel and cabin accommodation, equipment rental, restaurant, key service of Metsähallitus rental and reservable huts, transport services