What's Currently Happening in Petkeljärvi National Park
Tips for the winter season excursions
(Updated 12th of January 2023)
- Get to know The Outdoor Guide to Finland’s National Parks. There you can find good instructions for preparing your next hike or outdoor excursion.
- Trails in the Petkeljärvi National Park do not have winter maintenance. The road to Petkeljärvi Center is maintained and the yard can be used as a start of the excursion.
- Check the weather forecast and the current snow situation (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi). Prepare with supporting hiking boots and use snowshoes or forest skis in the deep snow. Check out the equipment rental opportunities offered by our partners.
- Prepare for the hike with enough drinking water and suitable snacks. Warm foods and drinks help the hiker to stay warm.
- Days are short during winter. Before the hike, check the weather and the length of the day and daylight hours (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi). Prepare for the hike with a headlamp or flashlight.
- Take warm clothes. Several layers of clothes are good for various weather conditions.
- During the winter, the road to Petkeljärvi Center is maintained and the yard can be used as a start of the excursion. Be aware of the possible delays in snow plowing and take a shovel and a small bag of gravel in the car.
- Read Outdoor Etiquette and Instructions and rules in the Petkeljärvi National Park.
- Remember to ensure the safety of your hike. Moving on the ice and on the terrain is always done on hiker's own responsibility. Always check the warnings in advance (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi).
- The National Park may have some areas where the phone connection can be bad. Download the 112 Finland application (112.fi) to your phone. When an emergency call is made through the 112 Finland application, the emergency center attendant is automatically informed of the caller's location.