The versatile family destination of Lake Matildanjärvi is located in the heart of Teijo National Park close by the historic ironworks village of Mathildedal.
A walking trail of around one kilometre in length suitable for younger children starts from Lake Matildanjärvi parking area, next to the Teijo Nature Centre. Those interested in a longer hike should consider walking around the scenic Lake Matildanjärvi (5.5 km) or visiting the ancient shoreline at Jeturkasti (4.6 km). For overnight stays you should head north, for example for the lean-to shelters of Teerisaari or Endal. The Jeturkasti trail is suitable for mountain bikers.
Two campfire sites for day-trippers and a shore favoured by swimmers can be found near the parking area. This is not an official bathing area, however. A lakeside sauna as well as rowing boats, kayaks, SUP boards and mountain bikes are available to rent.
Services requiring advance booking
- Caravan sites
- Wilderness cabins Vaappu and Lippa
- Fishing permits
- Rowing boats
- Lakeshore sauna
- Tentsile tree tents
- Mountain bikes
To book these services on line, contact Teijo Nature Centre
View maps and connections for Teijo National Park.
- Map of Teijo National Park (pdf file, 5 Mb, julkaisut.metsa.fi)
- National Land Survey of Finland’s MapSite (karttapaikka.fi)
- Lounaispaikka mapservice (karttapalvelu.lounaispaikka.fi, in finnish)
- Terrain map no 2021 07, 1:20 000. Available from Karttakeskus and National Land Survey of Finland’s service points.
- Outdoor GT map Southern Finland, 2012, 1:250 000. Available from Karttakeskus and well-stocked book shops.
Services in the local area
- The nearest shop is located in the village of Teijo at some 5 km from the camping site.
- Accommodation can be found in all the historic ironworks villages of the area and Salo.
- Cafés and restaurants are available in the villages of Mathildedal and Teijo.
- Both Mathildedal and Teijo offer several boutiques attractive to tourists.
- The nearest bank and pharmacy are located in Perniö village at 17 km, and a late night pharmacy can be found in Salo at around 20 km.
Teijo National Park/Teijo Nature Centre
Telephone: +358 (0)10 292 4032
Address: Matildanjärventie 84, Fin-25660 Mathildedal (Salo), Finland
Metsähallitus/Teijo National Park
Telephone: +358 (0)206 39 4700 (Monday to Friday from 10 a.m. till 3 p.m.)
Maintenance of the area
Free services: Metsähallitus, Parks & Wildlife Finland, Coastal and Metropolitan Area