Tiilikkajärvi National Park Trails
There are 20 km of marked trails in the National Park. Uiton kierto (7 km) is the area's only circular trail.
Starting Points for Trails
- The Sammakkotammi information point (Valtimontie 1095, Rautavaara) is a good place to start exploring the park.
- Pohjoisniemi parking area is another great place to set off on the trails. Address to Pohjoisniemi outgoing forest road is Kajaanintie 1655, Rautavaara.
- There are information boards at both locations with a map of Tiilikkajärvi National Park (1:10 000).
- The best place to set off on Autiokierto Circle Trail is a Uiton kämppä wilderness hut, but if hikers are coming from the direction of Pohjoisniemi another option for a starting point would be Tiilikanautio farm.
- Uiton kierto Trail (7 km) leads through considerably easy to cross terrain. The trail is marked so that hikers travel clockwise around Lake Sammakkojärvi. Up to Uiton kämppä Rental Hut the trail is quite hilly. Lakes Sammakkojärvi and Autiojärvi can be seen from the trail. On approaching Uiton kämppä hut visitors cross two bridges, from which there are spectacular views of the surrounding areas. After passing the hut the trail leads across mires with duckboards and through dry forest, which are easier to travel across. Hikers should reserve at least three hours to see this trail.
- From the northern part of Uiton kierto Trail visitors can go to Venäjänhiekka, which is 400 metres from it. A campfire site, camping site and compost toilet can be found there. From Uiton kämppä hut we recommend that visitors head to the Tiilikanautio tenant farm 1 km away. During warm weather we recommend that you take a snake venom antidote pack with you, as vipers have been seen on the grounds every year.
- Services: At Uiton kämppä there are a campfire site, a well, a recycling point, a dry toilet and a boat stage, from which visitors can go swimming.
- Sights: Visitors can get off this trail and visit Venäjänhiekka Beach and continue from there to the Tiilikanautio tenant farm.
- Connecting trail to Autiokierros Circle Trail.
- Autionkierto Trail is 3,4 km long and travels across undemanding terrain. Most of the trail has duckboards on it as the trail travels across mire landscape. The trail should be hiked clockwise. When setting off from Uiton kämppä wilderness hut the trail leads north and follows the eastern shore of Lake Tiilikka. After 1 km the trail reaches the edge of the forest and from there hikers can see Tiilikanautio farm at the top of a small hill. The farm yard is surrounded by a fence, but there is a gate near the dry toilet. On the other side of the gate the trail continues eastward. A kilometre from the gate there is a crossroads where the trail turns right and heads back towards Uiton kämppä wilderness hut.
- Services: At Uiton kämppä there are a campfire site, a well, a recycling point, a dry toilet and a boat stage, from which visitors can go swimming. There is a dry toilet at Tiilikanautio tenant farm.
- Sights:Uiton kämppä wilderness hut and Tiilikanautio tenant farm.
- Connecting trails to Uitonkierros Circle Trail.
- There are no marked canoe routes in the park.
- Tiilikkajärvi National Park waters are included in the Tiilikka-Älänne Canoeing Route (70 km). North Savo Regional Environment Centre restored the upper course of the River Tiilikanjoki in the autumn of 2002. During this process the current of rapids was slowed with rock barriers. This means that kayakers will have to e even more vigilant and careful than before. From Älänne visitors can continue their canoe trip through Korppinen and Syväri all the way to the Saimaa water system. This route however is very demanding as there are great changes in altitude.