Visit Oulanka Visitor Centre
Opening Hours in 2022
Please read the coronavirus guidelines before heading to the trails.
18th Jan.–7th Feb. Tue - Sat 10–16 (10 am to 4 pm)
8th Feb.–31st May Mon - Sun 10–16
1st Jun.–30th Sept. Mon - Sun 10–18
1st Oct.–31st Oct. Mon - Sun 10–16
1st Nov.–31st Dec. Tue - Sat 10–16
We reserve the rights to changes.
Directions and Maps
The Oulanka National Park is located 60 km north of Kuusamo and 40 km south of Salla. The closest villages are Käylä, Juuma and Hautajärvi.
- There are road signposts from Kuusamo, Ruka and Kemijärvi to the visitor centre.
- From Kuusamo: take road E5 towards Kemijärvi for 38 km, and turn right onto road 950, going to Salla. Drive 7 km to Käylä. From Käylä, turn onto road 8693 going to Liikasenvaara. The Visitor Centre is 13 km from Käylä. There are signposts to the Visitor Centre (Oulangan luontokeskus) from the Käylä intersection on road E5.
- From Kemijärvi: take road E5 towards Kuusamo for 96 km and turn left onto Räväntie road (to Käylä). Drive 8 km to Käylä village, go straight to Liikasenvaarantie road (8693) and drive 13 km to the Visitor Centre.
By Public Transportation
Busses travel to Oulanka National Park from Salla and Kuusamo.
The Karhunkierros Bus drives on schooldays via Ruka, Juuma, Käylä, Ristikallio parking area and Hautajärvi. Connections to Oulanka Visitor Centre and Juuma vary on different times of the year.
The Airport Bus connection from almost every Kuusamo Airport's scheduled flights to Salla via Ruka, Käylä, Ristikallio parking area and Hautajärvi is available also for others than flight passengers.
- The Karhunkierros bus timetables (ruka.fi)
- The Airport bus timetables (visitsalla.fi)
- Kuusamo airport (finavia.fi)
- The towns of Oulu, Rovaniemi and Kemijärvi can be reached by train. Timetables here (vr.fi).
- The most frequent bus connection to Kuusamo is from the town of Oulu, timetables (matkahuolto.fi)
Karhunkierros Trail Taxi
During summer there are special destination taxis from Kuusamo and Ruka for a smaller fare than in general. More information: Taxicenter Kuusamo-Ruka (ruka.fi).