What's Currently Happening in Tiilikkajärvi National Park
Situation on the Trails
(Updated 20th of January 2023)
So far, there are no skiing trails in Tiilikkajärvi National Park. However, you can use forest skiis and open up your own trails. The making of the skiing trails in Tiilikkajärvi will be started at week 8, if the ice and snow conditions are optimal. The skiing trails would thus be ready for skiing in weeks 9 and 10.
A 3.5 km long maintenance track between Sammakkotammi and Uitto has been marked with blue reflector sticks. The track is used for maintenance drives inside the national park. You can move around on this maintenance track for example with forest skis or snowshoes, as long as you remember to watch out for snowmobiles performing maintenance drives.
Tips for the winter season excursions
(Updated 20th of January 2023)
- Get to know The Outdoor Guide to Finland’s National Parks. There you can find good instructions for preparing your next hike or outdoor excursion.
- Trails in the Tiilikkajärvi National Park do not have winter maintenance. Check the weather forecast and the current snow situation (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi). Prepare with supporting hiking boots and use snowshoes or forest skis in the deep snow. Check out the equipment rental opportunities offered by our partners.
- A 3.5 km long maintenance track between Sammakkotammi and Uitto has been marked with blue reflector sticks. The track is used for maintenance drives inside the national park. You can move around on this maintenance track for example with forest skis or snowshoes, as long as you remember to watch out for snowmobiles performing maintenance drives.
- Prepare for the hike with enough drinking water and suitable snacks. Warm foods and drinks help the hiker to stay warm.
- Days are short during winter. Before the hike, check the weather and the length of the day and daylight hours (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi). Prepare for the hike with a headlamp or flashlight.
- Take warm clothes. Several layers of clothes are good for various weather conditions.
- During the winter, the road to Pohjoisniemi parking area is not maintained. At the junction of the road 87 and the road leading to Pohjoisniemi parking area there will be plowed a small space that fits couple of cars. You can for example ski to the national park from there following the snowy road.
- Be aware of the possible delays in snow plowing and take a shovel and a small bag of gravel in the car.
- Read the Outdoor Etiquette and Instructions and rules in the Tiilikkajärvi National Park.
- Remember to ensure the safety of your hike. Moving on the ice and on the terrain is always done on hiker's own responsibility. Always check the warnings in advance (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi).
- The National Park may have some areas where the phone connection can be bad. Download the 112 Finland application (112.fi) to your phone. When an emergency call is made through the 112 Finland application, the emergency center attendant is automatically informed of the caller's location.
No winter maintenance on the road leading to Pohjoisniemi parking area
(Updated 16th of November 2022)
During the winter, only some roads inside the National Parks are maintained. Check the availability from the location maps and leaflets. For example in Tiilikkajärvi, there is no winter maintenance on the road that leads to the Pohjoisniemi parking area. Sammakkotammi parking area should be reachable also during the winter time.
Just to be sure, winter hikers could pack their cars with shovels and a small bag of gravel incase of thick snow sheets and icy slippery hills.
Crossing boats in Selkäsalmi available until 30.10.2022
(Updated 12th of September 2022)
Crossing boats in Selkäsalmi are usable until 30.10.2022. Instructions for using the rowing boats can be found on the side of the storage boxes next to the boats. Life jackets for users of the boats can also be found in the storage boxes.