Kaldoaivi Wilderness Area Directions and Maps
20th of March 2023
Tsaarajärvi Open Wilderness Hut is not available in April for skiers or other hikers, the hut is renovated then.
Kaldoaivi Wilderness Area is located in the very northern end of the Northern Lapland and at the same time in the northern end of Finland. It is located south of the main road 4 (E75) and north of the road 971 (to Sevettijärvi). On the eastern side of the area, there is the Norwegian border.
To get to the southern side of the area, drive on the road 971 (Sevettijärvi-Näätämö).
To the western side, drive on the main road 4.
To the northern side, drive on the main road 4 until Utsjoki, and then turn onto the road 970 to Nuorgam or the Lake Pulmankijärvi.
Driving directions to Siida.
By Public Transportation
From Rovaniemi, there is a daily coach connection (matkahuolto.fi) to Inari.
The nearest airport (finavia.fi) is in Ivalo.
To the villages of Sevettijärvi and Näätämö on the southern side of the area, there is a coach connection (matkahuolto.fi) from Inari (local service Ivalo-Näätämö) and from Utsjoki (local service Ivalo-Nuorgam, express services Rovaniemi-Tana/Vadsö). If coming from Utsjoki, you need to change at Kaamanen to the coach coming from Inari.From the villages of Sevettijärvi and Näätämö, it is about 5 km to the wilderness area.
To Utsjoki and Nuorgam in the northwestern and northern side of the area, there is a coach connection (matkahuolto.fi) from Inari (local services Rovaniemi-Nuorgam/Tana, Ivalo-Nuorgam). From Utsjoki, it is about 5 km and from Nuorgam about 7 km to the wilderness area.
To get to the western side of the area, you can catch one the coaches mentioned above, and get off along the main road 4. The wilderness area is at about 2 - 10 km distance from this road.
Journey.fi provides information on public transportation to Kaldoaivi (journey.fi)
Starting Points for Excursions
Parking areas on the southern side of the area are located on the grounds of the Skolt Sámi Heritage House (information board), and at Jäniskoski (information board). There is no official parking area in the village of Näätämö, but there is an information board. On the nothern side of the area, you can park in the southern end of the Lake Pulmankijärvi (information board).
- Excursionmap.fi of Metsähallitus
- Kaldoaivi Utsjoki Iijärvi, waterproof topographic map, 1:50 000, Karttakeskus 2022.
- Nuorgam Näätämöjoki Sevettijärvi waterproof topographic map, 1:50 000, Karttakeskus 2020.
- Kaldoaivi Sevettijärvi Nuorgam, waterproof outdoor map, 1:25 000, 1:100 000, Calazo 2019.
- Sevettijärvi-Nuorgam ulkoilukartta: Sevettijärvi-Nuorgam recreation map, 1:100 000, Karttakeskus 2014.
- Maastokartat: Terrain maps W521, W522, W524, X511, X512, X513 and X514, 1:50 000, National Land Survey of Finland 2008 - 2009.
- Outdoor GT Northern Finland, 2016, 1:400 000.
- Sevettijärventie road 971, the Skolt Sámi Heritage House, Sevettijärvi (Inari)
- Sevettijärventie road 971, Jänisjärvi
- Sevettijärventie road 971, Näätämö
- Pulmankijärventie, Pulmankijärvi (Utsjoki)
More precise parking area addresses are not available. Parking area addresses are in Finnish to be used in navigators.