Instructions and Rules in Aulanko Nature Reserve
Instructions on Exploring Aulanko Nature Reserve
In the Nature Reserve, the following are
- Walking and skiing,
- Driving cars in the summer from 8 am to 11 pm on the ring road,
- Picking edible mushrooms and berries.
- According to the rules of conduct, mountain biking is allowed only on routes best suited for the activity: the ring road and gravel tracks (pdf-map in Finnish). Biking is allowed on the routes which are marked on the map with bold line (rengastie) and dashed line).
- Riding is allowed only on the roads marked for this purpose.
- Hook and line fishing and ice fishing are allowed on Lake Aulangonjärvi and Lake Vanajavesi by the Everyman's right (ym.fi). For lure fishing, you need the fisheries management fee (eraluvat.fi). Fishers need to check the restrictions on fishing sites at kalastusrajoitus.fi (In Finnish).
- As a rule, a permit issued by Metsähallitus is required for activities other than those included in everyman's rights, which may include research and organised events. Further information on required permits: research and access permits (metsa.fi) and permits and notifications related to events (metsa.fi).
- Camping and lighting campfires,
- Pets running at large,
- Damaging signboards or other constructions and experimental plots,
- Damaging or disturbing vegetation, soil or other natural features, and disturbing other visitors,
- Hunting and fishing.
Equipment and Safety
- If you face an emergency on your hike, e.g. get lost, get injured or observe wildfire, call 112 and report an emergency. More information on how to act in an emergency.
- Make sure you pack a first-aid kit.
- Outdoor Guide:
112 Suomi - mobile application
When an emergency call is being made through the 112 Suomi - mobile application (112.fi) the dispatcher will automatically receive the callers position.
It is recommended to keep the mobile phone warm and to bring extra food and water with you. There are many excursion locations with no mobile coverage and some mobile phones does not work in sub-zero temperatures, that is why it is always a good idea to let someone know about your itinerary and timetable.