Sompio Strict Nature Reserve Directions and Maps
The Sompio Strict Nature Reserve is located on the eastern side of Highway no. 4 (E75) north of the village of Vuotso.
- You can drive from Vuotso along the Sompiojärventie Road (that turns east from Highway no. 4 (E75)) to the trails' starting points and onto the shore of Lake Sompiojärvi. There is a signpost, "Sompiojärventie", at the crossroads of Highway no. 4. From Vuotso, the distance to the border of the Sompio Strict Nature Reserve is 9 km. The Sompiojärvi forest road, which runs across the southern edge of the Sompio Strict Nature Reserve, is drivable in summer. In early summer, always check the road's condition at the Urho Kekkonen nationalpark Customer Service Kiehinen. The road is not maintained in winter, but there is often a snowmobile track running along the road.
- From Rovaniemi there are several daily coaches (matkahuolto.fi) to Ivalo along Highway no. 4 (E 75): Rovaniemi - Sodankylä - Vuotso - Tankavaara - Kakslauttanen - Saariselkä - Ivalo. You can alight from the coach at Vuotso. From Vuotso, there are 9 km to the border of the Sompio Strict Nature Reserve.
- The coaches serve as connections from the trains (vr.fi) and flights (finavia.fi) arriving in Rovaniemi.
- There is a coach connection from flights arriving in Ivalo to Saariselkä and Kiilopää, from where the distance to Vuotso is about 40 km.
Starting Points for Excursions
- There are small parking areas at the beginning of the Sompio Strict Nature Reserve's circle trail: one on the border of the strict nature reserve and the other inside the reserve at a distance of 1 km from the border.
- There is a parking area by Lake Sompiojärvi.
- The parking areas are only open in summer.
- Saariselkä Sokosti, water resistant outdoor map, 1:50 000. Karttakeskus 2022.
- Urho Kekkosen kansallispuisto outdoor map 1:100 000.
- Terrain map V512, 1:50 000.
- GT tiekartta Pohjois-Suomi: GT Roadmap Finland North, 2019, 1:400 000.