Services in Punkaharju Nature Reserve
Customer Service and Guidance
- More information on hiking possibilities and nature in the area is available in Saimaa Nature Centre Riihisaari in Savonlinna.
- Boards in the terrain have text in Finnish and English. The central information boards have basic information additionally in Swedish, German and Russian.
- Information boards are situated in Laukansaari in the research park's parking area, at the parking area located north end of the esker top road, at Lusto railroad station, at Harjutie kiosk, at Kruunupuisto Rehabilitation Centre and at Kaarnaniemi boat pier.
Services Offered by Enterprises and Organisations in the Nature Reserve
- Enterprises and organisations offering services in the nature reserve
- They have a cooperation agreement with Metsähallitus and they follow the principles of sustainable nature tourism when operating in the nature reserve.
Meals, Where to Buy and Prepare
Cafés, Restaurants and Kiosk
Several enterprises and organisations Metsähallitus works in cooperation with offer cafe, kiosk and restaurant services near the nature reserve.
During summer the closest shop is located at Harjun Portti (harjunportti.fi) on the west shore of Tuunaansalmi Sound in the village of Tuunaansaari. There are several shops in the municipal centre of Punkaharju which is about 5 km from the esker area.
In the nature reserve area lighting a campfire is prohibited.
Karjalankallio campfire site and lean-to are situated on the north shore of Laukansaari, in the Punkaharju Research Park area. As the Karjalankallio campfire site is covered and has a flue, it can also be used, with extreme caution, when a forest or a grass fire warning is in effect. Please note that making a fire at campfire sites can be banned locally. Check for the current warnings (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi).
- Read more about campfires and campfire sites on the Hiking in Finland pages.
- Surface waters, the water in lakes, rivers and streams, should be boiled for several minutes before drinking, as the quality of water can vary depending on the place and temperature.
- Look at the tips for outdoors drinking water in Hiking in Finland -pages.
- There are no waste bins at the nature reserve's service structures and visitors must bring their own waste out of the area and take it to waste or recycling points. At Karjalankallio campfire site biodegradable waste can be placed in a dry toilet and small amounts of clean paper and cardboard can be used as kindling in a campfire.
- Read more about hiking without littering.
- There is a public toilet at the kiosk at Harjutie road during the kiosk is open.
- There is a dry toilet at the Karjalankallio campfire site also suitable for wheelchair visitors accompanied by an assistant.
- Camping in Punkaharju Esker Nature Reserve is forbidden.
- Lammasharju Rental Hut is in summer use. It is located in the gorgeous national landscape of Punkaharju, on the shore of Lake Pihlajavesi.
Lodging in the Surrounding Area
- There are numerous lodging options available in the surrounding area. See the cooperation partners. For more information see visitsavonlinna (visitsavonlinna.fi) or contact Savonlinna tourist information in Riihisaari, tel. +358 44 417 4466.
The Punkaharju Nature Reserve offers a broad range of accessible services. Read more about the accessible trails and hiking structures of Punkaharju.
Services for Boaters
- There are two boat piers at Punkaharju, both at Tuunaansalmi Sound. The Hotel Valtionhotelli pier is on the east side of the sound and the Tuunaansaari pier is on its west side.
- There are guest boat spaces and a fuelling point in Harjun Portti at Tuunaansalmi Sound, see cooperation partners.
- There is a boat pier at Cape Mustaniemi.
Other Services in the Surrounding Area
- More information at visitsavonlinna (visitsavonlinna.fi).