Services in Valtavaara-Pyhävaara
Customer Service and Guidance
Services offered by enterprises and other organisations in Valtavaara Nature Reserve
Enterprises and other organisations offering services in the nature reserve. They have a cooperation agreement with Metsähallitus and they follow the principles of sustainable nature tourism when operating in the nature reserve.
Meals, Where to Buy and Prepare
Shops and Restaurants
- There are two shops and a bar on main road 5 at the intersection of the road which leads to Ruka. They are about 4 km from Valtavaara Nature Reserve.
- There are many restaurants and other eateries at Ruka Holiday Resort.
Lean-to Shelters and Campfire Sites
- Suolampi lean-to shelter
- Valtavaaranlampi lean-to shelter
- Valtavaara campfire shelter
Lighting campfires is forbidden during the forest fire warnings.
- This prohibition does not apply to cooking shelters or other fireplaces with a flue.
- The areas ground waters - in lakes and rivers - should be boiled before drinking, as the water's quality changes from place to place.
- We recommend that visitors fill water bottles at customer service points. Drinking water from rivers and lakes is at your own risk.
- There are no waste-bins in the nature reserve. Measures should be taken in advance to avoid taking unnecessary waste into the area. Biodegradable waste should be placed in a toilet or composter, and small amounts of clean paper and cardboard can be used as kindling in a campfire. Read more about Hiking without littering.
- There are dry toilets at Suolampi and Valtavaara lean-to shelters and at Valtavaara campfire shelter.
Camping and Lean-to Shelters
- Suolampi and Valtavaaranlampi lean-to shelters and Valtavaara campfire shelter are situated in the nature reserve.
- Camping is allowed for short periods in the vicinity of lean-to shelters, campfire sites and campfire shelters.
Day Trip Hut
Lodging in the Surrounding Area
- There are versatile lodging enterprises and tourist services at Ruka Holiday Resort (ruka.fi) and in the area surrounding Ruka. There are for example quite a few hotels and rental cabins.
- Viipus Camping Ground is by main road 5, about 5 km from Valtavaara Nature Reserve. For more information contact Kuusamo Info (kuusamo.fi).
- There are rentable parking spaces for caravans at the central square in Ruka.
- There is a farm which offers lodging 30 km from Valtavaara right by road E5 to Kemijärvi. Visitors can enjoy farm life and barnyard animals.
- Hiking and outdoor recreation equipment can be rented from several enterprises at Ruka (ruka.fi).
- For more information contact Kuusamo Info (kuusamo.fi).
There are no accessible services in the nature reserve.
Other Services in the Surrounding Area
- The closest banks, medical centre, public swimming pool and spa are in the centre of the town of Kuusamo.
- A pharmacy, a public telephone (at RukaKlubi), a post office, shops, a fuel distribution point, a taxi service, a gym and equipment rental enterprises can be found at Ruka.
- Kuusamo Bird Watching Club (kuusamonlintukerho.fi, in Finnish)
- Sights in the surrounding are: Oulanka National Park, Riisitunturi National Park, Ruka Holiday Resort (ruka.fi).
- For information on fishing permits contact Kuusamo Info (kuusamo.fi).