Maps of Hiidenportti National Park
Liminganlahti Nature Centre is closed 1.1.-4.2.2022. The Finnish Nature Centre Haltia is closed 10.1.–1.2.2022. Koli Nature Centre Ukko is closed 1.1.–20.2.2022. Kuusamo Customer Service Karhuntassu is closed 13.1.–31.1.2022.
In other nature centers in Finland, we require the use of a facial mask and keeping the 2 meter distance to other visitors. In addition, there may be requirements to show the Covid pass, and/or the number of visitors can be limited. More information Nature centers. The length of the restrictions depends on the region. More regional information can be found at the Finnish institute for health and welfare website.
Starting Points for Trails
The area's most popular starting point is Palolampi information point, which has an adjacent campfire site, a cooking shelter and a well, and a rental cabin for day use.
The road Hiidenportintie leading to Palolampi parking place is ploughed in winter. However, you should be aware of sudden snowfalls.
There is a forest road named "Perävaarantie" leading to Urpovaara parking place from the road Kuhmo-Valtimo (no 5284). This road is not ploughed in winter.
The Käärmesärkkä starting point is situated along the road Kuhmo-Valtimo (no 5284). The parking place is not ploughed in winter.
- Hiidenportti National Park brochure. The trails in Hiidenportti National Park are clearly marked. To explore the park all you will need the Hiidenportti National Park brochure (julkaisut.metsa.fi), which has a small map of the area.
- A brochure: "Hiidenportti National Park Daytrails" includes information and a routemap for the 5 km long Hiidenkierros and 10.5 km long Kitulankierros. The brochure "Hiidenportti National Park Daytrails" (julkaisut.metsa.fi) also gives information on longer hiking possibilities from Hiidenportti to Teerisuo - Lososuo Mire protection area and Peurajärvi recreation area.
- A booklet Hiidenportti Through the Ages gives information on the interesting cultural history of the area. Most of the historical points are situated by the hiking trails, but some of them are outside the trails. The booklet (julkaisut.metsa.fi) includes a map. The coordinates of the map have been presented according to EUREF-FIN, which corresponds to WGS-84.
- Outdoor map Vuokatti ja Kainuun kansallispuistot (Vuokatti and Kainuu National Parks), 1:25 000. Karttakeskus 2015.
- Terrain map Q532 Lauvuskylä, 1:50 000.
- Terrain map number 4322 Puukari, 1:50 000.
- Maastokartat / terrain maps 4322 08, 4322 11 and 4322 12, 1:20 000.
- Retkeily GT Itä-Suomi: GT Outdoor map Finland East, 2014, 1:250 000.