Martimoaapa Directions and Maps
The mire reserve is located approximately 20 km northeast of the town of Kemi.
From Simo and Ranua
- When driving from Simo or Ranua take the Simo - Ranua road (no. 924) to Alaniemi. At Alaniemi turn in the direction of Sompujärvi (road no. 923). The Hangassalmenaho starting point is situated 3.5 km along the Sompujärventie road from Alaniemi.
- The Kivalot starting point is located 17.5 km from Alaniemi along the Sompujärventie road (no. 923). Turn left in the direction of Keminmaa (road no. 9262) at the intersection. Drive on for about 12 km and turn, as indicated by the sign, onto the gravel road that leads to Martimoaapa. Drive straight along the gravel road for about 6.5 km until you reach the Kivalot parking area.
From Kemi and Keminmaa
- When driving from Lautiosaari take the Keminmaa - Sompujärvi road (no. 9262) for about 26 km and turn onto the Martimoaapa gravel road, as instructed by the sign. Drive straight along the gravel road for about 6.5 km until you reach the Kivalot parking area.
- When driving to the Hangassalmenaho starting point, drive along the Keminmaa - Sompujärvi road (no. 9262) from Lautiosaari for about 38 km and turn in the direction of Alaniemi (road no. 923). Drive straight for another 14 km until you see the Hangassalmenaho parking area by the road-side.
- The closest bus stop is in the village of Alaniemi, which is about 4 km from, the starting point for the trail at Hangassalmenaho parking area. Coaches travelling between Simo and Alaniemi (veljeksetsalmela.fi, in Finnish) stop here.
- A bus (matkahuolto.fi) also runs between Keminmaa and Sompujärvi. The Kivalot starting point is 6.5 km from the road-side bus stop.
Starting Points for Excursions
- Good starting points for hikes are either the Kivalot parking area in Keminmaa or the Hangassalmenaho parking area in Simo. There is also a parking area close to the Jääkärikämppä day-trip hut, about 700 m before the Kivalot starting point.
On the shore of Lake Martimojärvi (Valkama) there is no lean-to-shelter.
- Excursionmap.fi of Metsähallitus
- Simos infomap (infogis.fi, in Finnish)
- Keminmaas infomap (infogis.fi, in Finnish)
- National Land Survey of Finland map service (karttapaikka.fi)
- Maastokartta, Terrain map S441 Ala-Jokikylä, 1:50 000, Karttakeskus 2006. The maps are sold by Karttakeskus and the National Land Survey of Finland.
- GT tiekartta Pohjois-Suomi: GT Roadmap Finland North, 2010, 1:400 000. The maps are sold by Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookstores.