Kemihaara Wilderness Area Directions and Maps
Kemihaara Wilderness Area is located west of the road between the villages of Savukoski and Kemihaara and northwest of the road running from Savukoski through Tanhua to Lokka.
- Kemihaara Wilderness Area is 107 km from the village of Savukoski.
- Take road 967 from Savukoski for about 12 km and continue onto road 9671. This road leads through the village of Martti towards Tulppio. About 3 km before reaching the Tulppio cabins the road turns left towards Kemihaara Wilderness Area. It is the only road into Kemihaara Wilderness Area and into the part of Urho Kekkonen National Park which lies in the municipality of Savukoski. The road is kept open during winter.
- Please note that there is a river to be crossed in order to get to Kemihaara Wilderness Area from Kemihaara parking area. The river is best crossed with a canoe or during winter if there is enough ice cover.
- About 54 km from the village of Savukoski at the village of Ruuvaoja a forest road turns left off of the Savukoski-Kemihaara road. The forest road leads northwest. The village of Satkovaara is 25 km down this road. A forest road, which is in poor condition, turns right from Satkovaara. This forest road leads to 2-3 km from the wilderness area's boundary and ends at a marshy depression. From there you must continue on foot along winter road tracks which lead into the wilderness area.
- A forest road from the direction of Lokka Village leads to the bank of the River Pihtijoki at the boundary of the wilderness area. At the village of Tanhua there are signs on road 967 to road 9673, which leads to the village of Lokka. The forest road begins at Lokka and leads northeast, and reaches the wilderness area's boundary and the river bank after 40 km.
- Driving directions to Pyhä-Luosto Visitor Centre Naava.
By Public Transportation
- From Kemijärvi train station or Rovaniemi train station you can take a bus to Pelkosenniemi. Bus connections can be checked from Matkahuolto (matkahuolto.fi). The easiest way to get further to Savukoski is using call taxi, please see Savukoski municipality pages for connections and more information (korvatunturi.fi).
- From Savukoski towards Tulppio and Kemihaara you can take a taxi or use the call taxi, please see Savukoski municipality pages for connections and more information (korvatunturi.fi).
Starting Points for Excursions
- There are no marked hiking or skiing trails in the wilderness area.
- There are no official starting points for excursion.
- Excursionmap.fi of Metsähallitus
- National Land Survey of Finland map service (kansalaisen.karttapaikka.fi)
- Itäkaira Kemihaara Lokka, Waterproof Topographic Map, 1:50 000, Karttakeskus 2021. The maps are sold by Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookstores.
- Urho Kekkonen National Park Waterproof Outdoor Map 1:100 000, Karttakeskus 2016. The map is sold by Korvatunturi Visitor Centre, Urho Kekkonen National Park Customer Service Kiehinen , Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookstores.
- Salla-Savukoski ulkoilukartta: Salla-Savukoski outdoor map, 1:100 000, Karttakeskus 2016. The map is sold by Pyhä-Luosto Visitor Centre Naava, Korvatunturi Visitor Centre, the Savukoski municipal office, the area's tourist enterprises and well stocked bookstores.
- Maastokartta: Terrain maps V513 Kemihaara and U524 Tulppio, 1:50 000. The maps are sold by the National Land Survey of Finland, Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookstores.
- Outdoor GT Map Northern Finland, 2016, 1:400 000. The maps are sold by Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookstores.