Jyrkkävaara Reservable Wilderness Hut
Reservable wilderness hut for 8 persons. In the same building there is a open wilderness hut.
Urho Kekkonen National Park Customer Service Kiehinen or by e-mail ukpuisto(at)metsa.fi. Terms of reservation for the Jyrkkävaara reservable hut. See where to pick up the keys.
Northern Lapland, Municipality of Sodankylä, Urho Kekkonen National Park.
Jyrkkävaara, coordinates: Euref-Fin (~ WGS84) lat: 68° 23.0635' lon: 28° 15.0852' ETRS-TM35FIN: N: 7586243 E: 551443
The wilderness hut is situated 1 km east of the River Muorravaarakkajoki to the west of Jyrkkävaara Hill.
Suitable for overnight stays for hikers and groups with good navigation skills. The hut is located in the Urho Kekkonen National Park's wilderness zone, which has no marked trails.
The closest huts are the Snelmanninmaja open wilderness hut, the Muorravaarakka open and reservable wilderness hut, the Muorravaarakanruoktu rental turf hut, and the Sarvijoki open and reservable wilderness hut.
You can get to the hut on foot or by skis from several starting points (pdf 659kt). The distance from Aittajärvi is ca. 11 km and from Raja-Jooseppi ca. 17 km.
16,50 €/night / person (incl. VAT 10%).
- From the March to September is possible to stay in the hut maximum two nights in a row and from October to February maximum 7 nights in a row.
You can pick up the keys from Urho Kekkonen National Park Customer Service Kiehinen, Ivalo Customer Service, Fell Centre Kiilopää (kiilopaa.fi), Hotel Samperin Savotta (samperi.com), Tulppion Majat (tulppiomajat.fi, in Finnish), Sodankylän Väri- ja Urheilu Simonen Oy (simonen.fi, in Finnish) or from the Vuotso JJR Pehkonen Oy tel. +358 442 432 449.
- Please check the opening hours by phone, from www-pages or by e-mail.
- The customer shall have payment receipt and hut reservation confirmation along in order to show proof of reservation and its payment.
- Two-tiered sleeping platforms, mattresses, pillows, a table, and benches.
- A wood-burning stove, a gas cooker, a saucepan, and a frying pan.
- A campfire site, a dry toilet and a woodshed.
- There is a smoke alarm in the hut, but we recommend bringing your own device with you.
- Take own candles, toilet paper and headlamp with you.
- Household water is taken from the pond.
- There are no accessible services in the hut.
- You can camp by the campfire sites.
- The route includes some river crossings.
- There are bridges by the River Suomujoki at Aitaoja, Kotaköngäs, and Porttikoski and by the River Luttojoki at Raja-Jooseppi.
- Please note that it takes some time before the hut is properly warm.
- When leaving the hut, remember that it has to be clean and ready for the next customers.
- Pets are not permitted in the hut.
- Make sure you pack a first-aid kit.
- Metsähallitus follows the principles of litter-free hiking. Visitors are adviced to bring their own waste out of the area. Read more about Hiking Without Littering.
- Safety on hiking.
Maintenance and Management
Metsähallitus, Parks & Wildlife Finland.
For more information contact Urho Kekkonen National Park Customer Service Kiehinen tel. int. +358 206 39 7200.
The booking calendar
By checking the booking calendar of the huts (eraluvat.fi) you can see the availability beforehand. Bookings: Saariselkä Customer Service Kiehinen, tel. +358 206 39 7200 or by e-mail ukpuisto(at)metsa.fi.