Punkaharju is located by main road 14, about 30 km from the town of Savonlinna, 90 km from the town of Imatra and 340 km from Helsinki.
To get to Punkaharju by car take main road 14. An old road on the esker top (road 4792) leads visitors through gorgeous landscape.
By Public Transportation
Punkaharju is easily accessible by public transport
- Coaches (www.matkahuolto.fi) travel regularly from both Savonlinna and Imatra to Punkaharju.
- Trains (www.vr.fi) stop several times each day at stations in the municipality centre of Punkaharju, at Retretti Art Centre and at Lusto.
- There is an airport (www.finavia.fi) in Savonlinna.
- Journey.fi provides information on public transportation to Punkaharju (www.journey.fi)
- It is easy to reach the area by water from the lakes Pihlajavesi or Puruvesi.
- In the boaters services section there is further information for example about guestharbours.
By Cruise Boat
It is also possible to travel to Punkaharju on a traditional steamboat from the town of Savonlinna. For more information see the cooperation partners section.
- Terrain map M542, 1:50 000. The map is sold by Karttakeskus and District Survey Offices.
- Terrain map 4124 03. The map is sold by Karttakeskus and District Survey Offices.
- Punkaharju Esker Nature Reserve service map is available from the area's entrepreneurs or at Saimaa Nature Centre Riihisaari in Savonlinna.
- GT road map 6, 1:250 000. The map is sold by Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookstores.
- Forest map 5-8, 1:250 000. The map is sold at Saimaa Nature Centre Riihisaari.
Map Sales Points