Starting Points for Trails
Please notice, that from Tankavaara Visitor Centre there is no trail to Sompio Strict Nature Reserve.
- You can reach the Pyhä-Nattanen Trail from the Sompiojärventie Road on the strict nature reserve's western border, or from inside the reserve at a distance of about 1 km from the border.
- The Ruijanpolku Trail starts out along the Sompiojärvi forest road at a distance of about 16 km from Highway no. 4.
- You can also set off for the Ruijanpolku Trail from Kiilopääntie Road or from Laanila.
- The Pyhä-Nattanen Trail, 7 km, runs through the strict nature reserve's western part. You can get on the trail from the Sompiojärvi forest road on the border of the strict nature reserve or at a point located at a distance of about 1 km from the border. When hiking the entire circle trail, the length of the hike is 7 km. The trail pops onto the Pyhä-Nattanen Summit and runs along the Nalijoki riverside. There is a steep ascent onto the Pyhä-Nattanen Summit and a steep descent, so the trail is not suitable for those with a poor health. The trail has been marked with green poles in the terrain.
- Services: the fire guard hut (a day trip hut) on the Pyhä-Nattanen Summit, the Nalijoki lean-to shelter.
- The Ruijanpolku Trail, 35 km, is part of an ancient route running via the River Luirojoki, Lake Sompiojärvi and River Ivalojoki to Finnmark (Ruija) on the Norwegian coast.. The trail passes across the Sompio Strict Nature Reserve in a north–south direction and continues in the Urho Kekkonen National Park. Read for more information about The Ruijanpolku Trail.