By Public Transportation
- Many coaches travel daily from Rovaniemi to Ivalo by Road E75. The National Park is on this route (Rovaniemi - Sodankylä - Vuotso - Tankavaara - Kakslauttanen (Kiilopää) - Saariselkä - Ivalo). The coach timetables coincide with trains (www.vr.fi) and flights (www.finavia.fi) arriving in Rovaniemi.
- There are coach connections to Kiilopää and Saariselkä from flights arriving in Ivalo (www.finavia.fi).
- There is a coach from Kemijärvi to Savukoski on weekdays. Transport from Savukoski to Kemihaara (100 km) is by taxi.
- Coach timetables (www.matkahuolto.fi)
- Journey.fi provides information on public transportation (www.journey.fi)
- The hiking trails in the basic zone of the park are close to Road E75. Aittajärvi, Kemihaara and Tulppio are most easily accessible with a car.
- From Saariselkä to Lake Aittajärvi: in summer Lake Aittajärvi can be reached by car. From Saariselkä, drive for about 13 km along road no. E75 to the north towards Ivalo and turn right onto the Kuutua forest road. At the crossroads you will see the signpost for "Luttojoentie". The distance to Aittajärvi is 35 km. There are signposts at a couple of crossroads guiding you to Lake Aittajärvi. You may leave your car in the parking area from where it is about 200 metres to the shore. The road is not maintained in winter. In early summer it is advisable to check the road's condition at the Saariselkä Customer Service Kiehinen.
- The distance from Saariselkä to Raja-Jooseppi is about 90 km. First drive along road no. E75 to the north to Ivalo, which is 30 km from Saariselkä. From Ivalo, drive along road no. 91 onto the road that goes to Nellimö and Raja-Jooseppi and continue for about 8 km. Thereafter, turn onto the road leading to Raja-Jooseppi and Murmansk. From that point, the distance to the national border and Raja-Jooseppi is about 50 km. It is a distance of roughly 3 km from the customs station to the River Luttojoki bridge located on the border of the Urho Kekkonen National Park. There is a parking area where you can leave your car for the duration of your hike.
- It is about 93 km from the village of Savukoski to Tulppio. Drive along the Savukoski-Tulppio connecting road (road no. 9671) for about 80 km to Tulppio. From Tulppio, turn left onto a forest road and drive for about 13 km until you arrive at the Haukijärvenoja parking area located close to the national park border.
- The distance from the village of Savukoski to Kemihaara is about 107 km. From the village of Savukoski, drive for about 12 km along road no. 967 and continue straight to road no. 9671. The road runs via the village of Martti and continues towards Tulppio and turns about 3 km before the Tulppio Cabins (Tulppion majat) to the left to Kemihaara. This is the only road leading to the Kemihaara Wilderness Area and to the Savukoski side of the Urho Kekkonen National Park. The road is regularly kept open in winter.
- Driving directions to Saariselkä Customer Service and to Savukoski Visitor Centre.
Starting Points for Excursions
You can reach the national park from the Saariselkä, Kiilopää and Tankavaara starting points along marked trails, paths and ski trails. The National Park's parking areas and information boards are at the river Luttojoki (Raja-Jooseppi), Lake Aittajärvi (access by forest road, which turns off from the E75 road 17 km south of Ivalo), Orponen, Marivaara, Kemihaara and Nuortti's Haukijärvenoja river.
- Urho Kekkonen National Park Waterproof Outdoor Map 1:100 000, Karttakeskus 2016. The map is sold by Savukoski Visitor Centre Korvatunturi, Saariselkä Customer Service Kiehinen, Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookstores.
- Marivaara Jaurujoki Uittipiekka Waterproof topographic map, 1:50 000, Karttakeskus 2017. The maps are sold by Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookstores.
- Itäkaira Nuortti Korvatunturi Waterproof topographic map, 1:50 000, Karttakeskus 2017. The maps are sold by Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookstores.
- Urho Kekkonen National Park Outdoor map 1:50 000, Calazo 2015. The maps are sold by Saariselkä Customer Service Kiehinen.
- Saariselkä Outdoor map 1:25 000, Calazo 2015. The maps are sold by Saariselkä Customer Service Kiehinen.
- Maastokartat: Terrain maps V511, V512, V513, V514, V521, V523, 1:50 000, National Land Survey of Finland 2007. The maps are sold by the National Land Survey of Finland, Saariselkä Customer Service Kiehinen, Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookstores.
- Inarin osoite- ja virkistyskartta: Address and recreation map of Inari, 1:150 000, Lapland District Survey Office 2017. The map is sold by Saariselkä Customer Service Kiehinen.
- Retkeily GT Pohjois-Suomi: Outdoor GT Map Northern Finland, 2016, 1:400 000. The maps are sold by Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookstores.
- Saariselkä Sokosti waterproof outdoor map 1:50 000, Karttakeskus 2019. The map is sold by Savukoski Visitor Centre, Saariselkä Customer Service Kiehinen, Karttakeskus and well-stocked book stores.
Map Sales Points