Customer Service and Guidance
- Sammakkoniemi Camping
- Guided tours in the National Park.
- Maps and fishing permits are sold.
- Saimaa Nature Centre Riihisaari is located in Savonlinna, about 40 km from the main island of the park.
- Information on hiking, boating and canoeing in the National Park, and guidance for groups at the Nature Centre on, for example, natural features and services of Linnansaari National Park.
Services Offered by Enterprises and Organisations in the National Park
Meals, Where to Buy and Prepare
Cafés and Kiosks
- In Linnansaari there is a kiosk at Sammakkoniemi Camping. It sells for example coffee, and groups can get meals by reservation. It`s possible to pay with debit-/creditcard.
Campfire Places and Cooking Shelters
- There are campfire place and a cooking shelter at Sammakkoniemi Camping.
- All the camping sites in the National Park have campfire places.
Please note that if the forest fire warning is in effect, lighting campfires is forbidden everywhere, except at Sammakkoniemi Camping.
- There is a well behind the cooking shelter at Sammakkoniemi Camping. It is recommended to boil the water before drinking. (Updated 8.9.2016).
- The use of natural water from lakes and brooks is at your own risk. It is recommended to boil the water before drinking, as the quality of the surface water is changeable.
- In the National Park there are no waste-bins. Measures should be taken in advance to avoid taking unnecessary waste into the area. Of the waste that accumulates during your trip, biodegradable waste should be placed in a dry toilet and small amounts of clean paper and cardboard can be used as kindling in a campfire. Take all other waste out of the area. There is a recycling point on the grounds of Oravi village shop next to Oravi Canoeing Centre. Read more about Hiking without littering.
There are dry toilets at all the camping sites, and at Sammakkoniemi Camping. Toilet paper is good to have along.
Temporary camping is permitted in designated areas from 1st May to 31st December. At other times, camping is permitted only on the main island subject to the permission of Metsähallitus.
Camping is only allowed at designated camping sites 1.5.-31.12. The camping ground is equipped with a campfire site, a firewood shelter, a dry toilet and an information board. There are also loops for attaching boats to on the rocky shore. In addition to Sammakkoniemi Camping, there are several camping sites in the National Park:
- Hietasaari Island 3 areas,southern, eastern and western ends. A shallow sandy beach. Level terrain for camping.
- Seurasaari Island, northern shore, in the middle of the island. A shallow sandy beach. Level terrain for camping.
- Kaitasaari Island, north-western end. A cliff faced and rocky shoreline. Level terrain for camping.
- Pöllänsaari Island, western shore. Rocky shoreline. Level terrain for camping on the old now forested meadow next to the shore.
- Iso-Tuunaa Island, north-western shore. A shallow sandy cove. Only a limited amount of level camping spots.
- Louhisaari Island, southern end. Rocky shoreline. Very few camping spots with level terrain.
- Petäikköluoto Island, northern end. A cliff faced and rocky shoreline. Level terrain for camping.
- Mäntyluoto Island, eastern shore. A cliff faced and rocky shoreline. Very little space for camping.
- Linnansaari Island, northern shore, at Perpulanluhta. Rocky shoreline. A shallow sandy bech at the bottom of the bay. Only a limited amount of level camping spots
- Pieni-Lappi Island. Rocky shoreline. Very little space for camping.
- Kirvessaari Island 2 areas, western and southern shore. A shallow sandy beach. Level terrain for camping.
- Hirvisaari Island, south-eastern and north-western shore. Two separate campfire sites, shared firewood shelter and dry toilet. Sandy beach with a rather shallow shoreline. Only a limited number of level camping spots.
- Paavalinsaari Island, northern end.A shallow, cliff faced and rocky shoreline. Level terrain for camping.
- Myhkyrä Island. Rocky and shallow sandy peach. Very few camping spots.
- Huuhinsaari Island, western shore. A cliff faced and rocky and shallow shoreline. Level terrain for camping.
- Taivalsaari Island, the cape at the northern end. Rocky shoreline. Very few camping spots.
- Harronsaari Island, northern end. A shallow sandy cover. Only a limited amount of camping spots
- Vuorikiukas Island, north-western shore. A shallow sandy cover. Only a limited amount of camping spots. More camping spots on top of the hill.
At Sammakkoniemi Camping (www.oravivillage.com/en) it is possible to camp throughout the time of open water (usually May-October). Camping is permitted in Sammakkoniemi camping area from 1st January to 30th April subject to the permission of Metsähallitus.
- Located in the southern part of Linnansaari Island, about 5 km from Oravi and 12 km from Porosalmi.
- Camping ground free of charge, except during regular boat service, 28.6. - 15.8. More information (www.oravivillage.com/en)
- 5 cabins which can accommodate (www.oravivillage.com/en) 4 people each
- Rental sauna
- Guidance shelter and guidance by reservation (www.oravivillage.com/en).
- Guidance in Finnish, Swedish or English.
- Canoe and row boat rental (www.oravivillage.com/en).
- Excursion harbour for 10 boats, a fee is charged (www.oravivillage.com/en). A smaller boat stage for a couple of boats at Kamarluoto near the entrance channel for the camping ground.
- Kiosk is open during the period of regular passenger boat service, at other times as and when needed.
- Meals for groups by reservation
- Cooking shelter and 2 campfire places
- Dry toilets
In a Boat
Staying overnight in own boat is allowed everywhere else except in the restricted area during the time when landing is forbidden (1.1. - 15.7.)
- The enterprises with which Metsähallitus has a cooperative agreement rent outdoor equipment. The enterprises are situated in several locations around the national park (in Rantasalmi, Oravi and Savonlinna).
Services for the Disabled
- There are no special services for the disabled in the area.
- The trail from Sammakkoniemi Camping to Linnansaari Croft (0,7 km) on the main island is accessible by wheelchair, but assistance is needed.
- Note! There is no dry toilet suitable for the disabled at Linnansaari.
Services for Boaters
Other Services in the Surrounding Area
- Oravi Village Shop (www.oravivillage.com/en) is the closest shop to the main island of the Park.
- There are also a post office and a restaurant in the village of Oravi.
- Most services can be found in the centre of the municipality of Rantasalmi (www.rantasalmi.fi).
- More information about the services for travellers in the surrounding areas can be got at Saimaa Nature Centre Riihisaari, Rantasalmi Travel (www.rantasalmitravel.com) and Visitsavonlinna (www.visitsavonlinna.fi).