There are two Trails in the National Park, where you can find out about the forest ecosystems of the area.
Starting Points for Trails
Nahkiaissalo Nature Trail is in the south-east part of the Park, in Selkälahti area. The trail is on the mainland, so it is easily accessible also by car. Coming from Enonkoski, the trail is about 8 km after the ferry at Hanhivirta. From the sign "Kolovesi kansallispuisto Nahkiaissalo" it is a couple of kilometres to the parking area, which is the starting and ending point of the trail. Boaters can start the trail from the camping site at Lohilahti Bay.
Before "Kolovesi kansallispuisto Nahkiaissalo" sign there is a brown and white sign "Kolovesi kansallispuisto Käkövesi", about 3,5 km after the Hanhivirta ferry. If you turn there, you will end up at Käkövesi boat launching place.
Mäntysalo Trail is in the northern end of Mäntysalo Island. The starting point of the trail, and the mooring place are on the shore of Mäntysalo Island opposite the northern end of Pitkäsaari Island. Because of its location, the Nature Trail is also accessible to motor boaters.
- Nahkiaissalo Nature Trail, 3,3 km, is in difficult terrain. The trail is marked with orange circles. On this trail you can learn about old-growth forests and their flora and fauna. The terrain changes from steep slopes to damp hollows. This circular trail takes about 2 hours.
- Services: At Lohilahti Bay camping site there are a campfire site, a dry toilet, and a place where it is possible to swim in the lake. There is no official swimming spot in the area.
- Sights: Before and after the camping site at Lohilahti Bay, there are places with beautiful scenery. Also by the side of the trail there is an impression where a tar-burning pit used to be.
- Mäntysalo Trail, 3,8 km, is in really difficult and varied terrain. The trail is marked with orange circles. When after the short section in the beginning the trail is separated into two, it is recommended to choose the path on the left hand side. From the trail it is possible to admire the forests of Kolovesi, which vary from old-growth mixed-wood forests in their natural state to cultivated forests. It is advisable to have at least 2 hours for hiking this trail.
- Services and sights: There are two places where hikers can stop for a break and to look at the beautiful lake scenery. When hiking to the direction recommended, the first one of these place is at about half way.