Customer Service and Guidance
- There is an information board at Hepoköngäs parking area. Visitors can get information and brochures about the surrounding area from the summer time café located by the road leading the waterfall.
- For more information or to buy maps visit the tourist information point in the centre of Puolanka (www.puolanka.fi, in Finnish).
- More information from Kuhmo Visitor Centre Petola
Services offered by enterprises and other organisations in Hepoköngäs
- Following enterprises and other organisations offer services in the Hepoköngäs and other protected areas in Kainuu. They have a cooperation agreement with Metsähallitus and they follow the principles of sustainable nature tourism when operating in the hiking area.
Meals, Where to Buy and Prepare
A privately owned café, which is open from June through August, is situated on the road leading to Hepoköngäs Waterfall
- It is forbidden to make a campfire on Hepoköngäs Nature Reserve.
- There is a campfire site on the grounds of the cafe, by the road leading to Hepoköngäs Waterfall.
- Please note that lighting campfires is strictly forbidden when a forest fire warning is in effect.
- Water from lakes, rivers and streams should be boiled for a few minutes before drinking, as the water quality varies by region and according to the temperature.
- There are no waste bins on the area. This means that each visitor is responsible for his or hers own waste and must make sure it is brought out of the area to the recycling point. Generally biodegradable waste can be composted in dry toilets and burnable waste can be burned in campfires. Read more about Hiking without Littering.
- There is a toilet for the disabled at the Hepoköngäs parking area.
- The indoor toilets can be found at the summer café, which situates before the parking area.
- Camping is forbidden in the Hepoköngäs Nature Reserve.
Lodging in the Surrounding Area
- There is an entrepreneur in the surrounding area who offers cabin accommodation.
- There is a hotel as well as a camping ground in the centre of Puolanka 15 km from the area.
- There is a hotel as well as cabin accommodation in Paljakka.
- Read more about accommodations in the surrounding area (puolanka-lehti.fi, in Finnish).
Services for the Disabled
- The trails leading to Hepoköngäs Waterfall and the structures and toilets along them are suited for use by the disabled.
- The steepest slope, which leads to ramp leading the lookout platform, is at an angle of 8%.
- The Hepoköngäs summer café is accessible by wheelchair.
Other Services in the Surrounding Area
- The closest shops, kiosks and restaurants, banks, post office, healthcare centre, taxi service, pharmacy, fuel distribution point and public phone are in the centre of Puolanka (www.puolanka.fi, in Finnish), 15 km from the area
- The Paljakka area (www.paljakka.fi) has abundant services.
- Sights in the Surrounding Area
- Pirunkirkko Gorge near Paljakka Tourism Centre. Pirunkirkko old-growth forest is located on the southwest side of Paljakka Strict Nature Reserve. Pirunkirkko is a rocky and partly steep sloped gorge along the bottom of which the River Louhenjoki runs.
- The Finnish Forest Research Institute Paljakka Environmental Specimen Bank (www.metla.fi, in Finnish) which contains environmental research samples and for example forest litter samples gathered from around Finland during past decades.