Instructions on Exploring Bothnian Sea National Park
Instructions and rules will be defined at a later date in the regulations to be established for the Bothnian Sea National Park. In connection with this, beaching on the most important bird nesting islets will be restricted and designated places will be established for camping, among other things.
In Bothnian Sea National Park the following is
- Walking, skiing, rowing, canoeing and travelling by boat
- Mountain biking is allowed according to everyman's rights. Always stay on clearly visible tracks and pay attention to other hikers
- Picking berries and mushrooms
- Camping for a short period of time
- Lighting campfires is only allowed at sites marked for this purpose.
- Avoid landing on birds' nesting islets during spring and summer.
- Please note that lighting campfires is also forbidden at campfire sites if the forest fire warning or the grass fire warning is in effect. Check the current warnings (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi).
This prohibition does not apply to cooking shelters or other fireplaces with a shelter and a flue.
- Pets running at large
- Causing disturbance or inconvenience to others
- Taking or damaging trees, bushes, other plants or their parts, or mushrooms other than edible ones
- Damaging soil or rock, and extraction of earth material or minerals
- Driving a motor vehicle on land beyond the designated roads
- Catching or collecting invertebrates
- Killing, catching or disturbing wild vertebrates, or destroying their nests, with the exception of hunting with a permit
- Leaving waste in the area, or damaging construction
Mobile Phone Coverage
- Although Finland has a broad network for mobile phones, there are some areas in the park without signal. There may also be some smaller spots where there is interference. If this happens try to climb to a higher place or go into an open area. It may be worth removing the SIM card from your phone and then trying again to make emergency call. Different phones also differ in their coverage.
- We recommend that you keep your mobile phone warm at all times and take along food and drink. Certain phone models do not work when the temperature falls below zero. You should therefore let someone know your planned route. To keep your mobile phone charged, bring along a spare power source, a spare battery or an old phone with a working battery.
Safety and Equipment
- At the sea it is always important to be prepared for quickly changing weather conditions. Especially important is to make sure that the boat is in good condition. Boaters should have the appropriate sea chart of the area merikortti (www.liikennevirasto.fi). Series E covers the Bothnian Sea area.
- When walking on the islands, it is good to remember that the rocks are slippery when wet, and so are moss and algae.
- With clothing and other equipment, it is good to note, that the area is quite windy and that ticks (Ixodes ricinus) live there, and some of them carry viruses and bacteria which cause diseases. It is wise to pack tick pliers and check daily for ticks.
- Snakes are common in the archipelago, so it is advisable to watch out when walking.
- Make sure you pack a first-aid kit.
- If you face an emergency on your hike, e.g. get lost, get injured or observe wildfire, call 112 and report an emergency. Maritime Rescue Centre's calling number is 0294 1000. More information on how to act in an emergency.
- Hiking in Finland:
- Before your trip see also page What is New.