Patvinsuo National Park is located on the east-side of road 73 from Joensuu to Lieksa. Suomu Nature Information Hut is located 55 km from Lieksa and 40 km from Uimaharju. It is about 90 km from Joensuu through Uimaharju to Patvinsuo.
- From Lieksa
Take road 73. South of Lieksa turn onto road 522 (from Pankakoski to Ilomantsi) and continue along it for 39 km. Go through the centre of Hatunkylä Village and turn onto road 5202 (From Kivilahti to Kitsi) in the direction of Uimaharju, where the sign to the National Park is pointing. About 15 km down this road there is an intersection with signposts to the park. Turn left and drive for 6 km to the Nature Information Hut.
- From Joensuu
Take Road 73. At the Uimaharju traffic-circle turn onto road 5160. Continue along this road for 16 km and then turn right onto road 5202 (from Kivilahti to Kitsi). There are signposts along this road to the National Park. There is an intersection with signposts about 20 km down this road. Turn right and drive 6 km to the Nature Information Hut.
For more detailed parking area addresses, please see below under Starting Points for Excursions.
By Public Transportation
- There is no public transportation to Patvinsuo National Park. A coach travels from Uimaharju to Kivilahti. Coaches (www.matkahuolto.fi) and trains (www.vr.fi) both travel to Uimaharju.
Starting Points for Excursions
There are 9 parking areas in Patvinsuo National Park:
- In the western part of the park is Lahnalampi Parking Area and on Road 5202 from Uimaharju there are two parking areas; at Lahnasuo and Autiovaara.
- Parking areas in the centre of the park are located at Surkanvaara, Suomu (main Information point), Surkanpuro and Kurkilahti.
- When approaching the park from the east, the closest parking area is at Sumukka. From Sumukka, as well as, when coming from from Lieksa by way of Suomu you can get to the parking area at Jokivaarankangas.
- Camper vans and trailers can be parked for overnight stays at the Surkanpuro Parking Area. Outside of the tourist season other parking areas can be used as well.
In winter the roads are ploughed to the parking area of Suomu Nature Information Hut when coming from Kivilahti-Kitsi road (road 5202).
More precise parking area addresses are not available. Parking area addresses are in Finnish to be used in navigators.
Starting Points for Trails
- Koli Ruunaa Patvinsuo Petkeljärvi outdoor map 1:25 000, Karttakeskus 2013.
- Terrain maps P543 and P534, 1:50 000. The maps are sold by the National Land Survey of Finland, Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookstores.
- Maastokartat: Terrain maps 4331 08, 4331 09, 4331 10, 4331 11, 4331 12, 4333 02 and 4333 03, 1:20 000. The maps are sold by the National Land Survey of Finland, Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookstores.
- Retkeily GT Itä-Suomi: GT Outdoor Map Finland East, 2014, 1:250 000. The maps are sold by Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookstores.
- Pohjois-Karjala (North Karelia Region), water resistant map, 1:25 000, Calazo Förlag 2015. Map is sold for example by Koli Nature Centre Ukko.
Map Sales Points