Käsivarsi Wilderness Area Directions and Maps
Liminganlahti Nature Centre is closed 1.1.-4.2.2022. The Finnish Nature Centre Haltia is closed 10.1.–1.2.2022. Koli Nature Centre Ukko is closed 1.1.–26.1.2022. Kuusamo Customer Service Karhuntassu is closed 13.1.–31.1.2022.
In other nature centers in Finland, we require the use of a facial mask and keeping the 2 meter distance to other visitors. In addition, there may be requirements to show the Covid pass, and/or the number of visitors can be limited. More information Nature centers. The length of the restrictions depends on the region. More regional information can be found at the Finnish institute for health and welfare website.
Käsivarsi Wilderness Area is located on the east side of the Kilpisjärvi-Karesuvanto road. To its north and to its east the wilderness area's boundary runs along the Norwegian border.
There are coaches (matkahuolto.fi) from Rovaniemi daily to Kilpisjärvi.
The closest railway stations (vr.fi) are located at Kolari and Rovaniemi. Night trains from Helsinki travel to both.
Main road 21 (E8) runs along the western boundary of the wilderness area. A good point to start excursions is the village of Kilpisjärvi.
- Driving directions to Kilpisjärvi Visitor Centre
Starting Points for Excursions
The best starting points for those arriving with cars are at the parking areas at Ropinsalmi, Saarikoski, Kilpisjärvi and Iitto.
- Excursionmap.fi of Metsähallitus
- Ropi Kalkkoaivi Raittijärvi, Waterproof Topographic Map, 1:50 000, Karttakeskus 2021. Map is sold by Kilpisjärvi Visitor Centre, Fell Lapland Visitor Centre, Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookstores.
- Kaaresuvanto Lätäseno Tarvantovaara, Waterproof topographic map, 1:50 000, Karttakeskus 2021. Map is sold by Kilpisjärvi Visitor Centre, Fell Lapland Visitor Centre, Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookstores.
- Halti Kilpisjärvi, waterresistant outdoor map, 1:50 000. Karttakeskus 2021. The nearest map sales points are Kilpisjärvi Visitor Centre and Fell Lapland Visitor Centre.
- Halti, Kilpisjärvi, Pältsa, waterproof map, 1:50 000. Calazo Förlag 2015. The map is sold by Kilpisjärvi Visitor Centre, Fell Lapland VisitorCentre and some private enterprises in the village of Kilpisjärvi.
- Outdoor GT Northern Finland, 2016, 1:400 000. The maps are sold by Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookstores.
- Route Map of Kilpisjärvi (winter), 2010. The map is sold by Kilpisjärvi Visitor Centre, Fell Lapland Visitor Centre. You may print the map here (julkaisut.metsa.fi).
- Route Map of Kilpisjärvi (summer), 2010. The map is sold by Kilpisjärvi Visitor Centre, Fell Lapland Visitor Centre. You may print the map here (julkaisut.metsa.fi).
Map Sales Points
- Käsivarrentie 14123 (road 21, E8), Kilpisjärvi
- Käsivarrentie 11194 (road 21, E8), Saarikoski
- Käsivarrentie 9912 (road 21, E8), Iitto
- Käsivarrentie 8835 (road 21, E8), Ropinsalmi
Publications of Käsivarsi Area
- Crossbill Guides 2010: Finnish Lapland including Kuusamo (crossbillguides.com)
GVO/Ponsen en Looijen, Ede. 223 pages