Suomu Nature Information Hut is located by Lake Suomunjärvi, in the heart of Patvinsuo National Park. The Nature Information Hut has a heart-warming exhibit on the mammals and birds of Patvinsuo National Park.
The Nature Information Hut is situated on a 17th century forest ranger estate surrounded by a twig fence. The main house of the present estate was built in 1953 and researchers stay there. The Nature Information Hut is in the old barn.
There is no entrance fee. On request visitors can get a short introduction to the nature information hut, free of charge. Guided tours in the park for a fee. Groups should make reservations in advance.
Opening hours 2018
10 am to 5 pm
5.5.- 31.5.2018 Wed-Sun
- From Lieksa
Take road 73. South of Lieksa turn onto road 522 (from Pankakoski to Ilomantsi) and continue along it for 39 km. Go through the centre of Hatunkylä Village and turn onto road 5202 (from Kivilahti to Kitsi) in the direction of Uimaharju, where the sign to the National Park is pointing. About 15 km down this road there is an intersection with signposts to the park. Turn left and drive for 6 km to the Nature Information Hut.
- From Joensuu
Take road 73. At the Uimaharju traffic-circle turn onto road 5160. Continue along this road for 16 km and then turn right onto road 5202 (from Kivilahti to Kitsi). There are signposts along this road to the National Park. There is an intersection with signposts about 20 km down this road. Turn right and drive 6 km to the Nature Information Hut.
By Public Transportation
- A coach (www.matkahuolto.fi) travels from Uimaharju to Kivilahti.
- Information on natural features and hiking possibilities in Patvinsuo National Park.
- Information on Metsähallitus.
- Maps, books and Metsähallitus publications, t-shirts, pins and sleeve badges.
- Rental of rowboats (3), canoes (3) and a kayak for 8 e / h or 30 e / 24 h. Life vests are included in the price.
- Guidance: Short introductions free of charge.
- Indoor lodging at Nature Information Hut
- We only accept cash payment.
The exhibition at Suomu Nature Information Hut informs visitors about the life of the bear, mire plants and a beaver's dam building activities in a fun way with the help of a teddy bear called Oiva. Patvinsuo is the ideal place for bird watching and this is also taken into account in the exhibit. Children can crawl into a small bear den to hibernate next to cuddly cubs.
- The starting point for Mäntypolku Circle Trail (4,5 km) is on the Nature Information Hut grounds. The trail ends at the well which is on the grounds after winding through dry pine forest. As well as beautiful shore scenery there is also a restored charcoal pit and a forest fire research area along this trail.
- A well and dry toilet can be found on the grounds.
- A campfire on the shore of Lake Suomunjärvi is 200 metres away.
Services for the Disabled
Visitors with wheelchairs can get from Suomu Nature Information Hut to the campfire site on the shore of beautiful Lake Suomunjärvi with assistance. The shore is about 200 metres away.