Iso Linnamäki castle hill in Porvoo is open at all hours. However, there is no official winter maintenance. In winter, the parking area is cleared of snow by the City of Porvoo.
Iso Linnamäki castle hill is open to visitors free of charge.
Porvoo tourist guides (www.porvoonmatkailuoppaat.fi, in Finnish) welcome enquiries about guided tours for groups.
In summer, the Porvoo Theatre (www.porvoonteatteri.fi, in Finnish) arranges Viking adventures for children on Iso Linnamäki castle hill.
- Address of the site: Pappilankuja, 06100 Porvoo
- Metsähallitus is responsible for the maintenance and management of Iso Linnamäki castle hill in partnership with the City of Porvoo, which is responsible for structures and waste management.
- Metsähallitus customer service: Finnish Nature Centre Haltia
- Telephone: +358 206 39 4729
- E-mail: haltia(at)metsa.fi
- Porvoo City Tourist Information (www.visitporvoo.fi)
- Telephone: +358 40 489 9801
- E-mail: tourist.office(at)porvoo.fi
- Castle Hill (www.visitporvoo.fi)
Directions and Maps
Iso Linnamäki castle hill is located in central Porvoo, to the south-west of Old Porvoo and Porvoo Cathedral. Porvoo Cathedral is approximately 350 metres away. Porvoo is situated about 52 kilometres from Helsinki.
- Take highway 7 (E18) to Porvoo. Follow signs from the highway to city centre.
- Travel along Suomenkyläntie street past the Porvoo Cathedral to the north, and go beyond the vicarage. The signs for castle hill are by the roadside beyond the vicarage.
- The parking area for cars is on the lower level on Pappilankuja street. The City of Porvoo is responsible for the parking area.
- Another parking area is on Näsinmäki hill on the other side of the River Porvoonjoki, around 1 kilometre from Iso Linnamäki castle hill. Please note: in the summer a section of the parking area is reserved for coaches only. The City of Porvoo is responsible for the parking area.
- More information on parking in Porvoo (www.visitporvoo.fi)
Arrival and Parking of Chartered Coaches
- Coaches must follow Kaivokatu street to Porvoo Cathedral, and follow the signs for ‘Linnamäki' to the parking area.
- The Linnamäki parking area on the lower level of Pappilankuja street can only accommodate one or two coaches. Another parking area for coaches can be found on Näsinmäki hill on the other side of the River Porvoonjoki, around 1 kilometre from Iso Linnamäki castle hill. Because the Linnamäki parking area is very small, we recommend that you use the Näsinmäki parking area.
- Map of the parking areas in Porvoo includes information about parking areas for buses (www.visitporvoo.fi).
- The City of Porvoo is responsible for the parking areas.
- There is a regular bus service to central Porvoo from places such as Helsinki, Helsinki–Vanta airport, Lahti, Tampere, Kouvola and Kotka. Timetables and ticket prices (www.matkahuolto.info)
- Porvoo bus station is on Lundinkatu street, which is adjacent to the Old Town. Iso Linnamäki castle hill is a 1 kilometre walk away from the bus station.
- Local transport timetables and prices (www.porvoonliikenne.fi).
By Own Boat
- The Porvoo guest harbour is on the eastern bank of the River Porvoonjoki, on Jokikatu street at the end of Laivurinkatu street, which is next to the passenger harbour and a 1 km walk from Iso Linnamäki castle hill.
- The guest harbour has 23 berths for guests, a toilet, water and power supply, shower, washing machine, tumble dryer and kitchen with utensils.