Ruunaa Hiking Area Directions and Maps
Ruunaa Hiking Area and Nature Reserve are located east of the main road 73 (Joensuu - Lieksa - Nurmes), about 30 km east of Lieksa. The town of Lieksa is about 95 km from the town of Joensuu, 190 km from the town of Kuopio, and 180 km from the town of Kajaani.
- Turn onto road 522 to Ilomantsi on the southern side of Lieksa town centre and drive for 5 km, after which turn onto road 5224 to Ruunaa on the eastern side of Pankakoski. Following the signs on road 5224, you reach Ruunaa Hiking Centre at the rapids of Neitikoski after 21 km. If going to Miikkulanvaara, drive past Ruunaa Hiking Centre for 2 km.
- Roads to Siikakoski and Neitikoski Rapids branch off from road 5224. To get to the parking area at Neitikoski, drive for 16 km on road 5224 and turn onto the Neitikoski road (Neitikoskentie) following the signs. Then drive for about 5 km to the parking area of Neitikoski. To get to Siikakoski Rapids, turn off road 5224 after the bridge of Naarajoki River, and drive for about 10 km on the Siikakoski road (Siikakosken tie), which ends at the parking area of Siikakoski.
- From the Hattuvaara direction, there are forest roads to the eastern bank of Haapavitja Rapids, to the southern shore of Lake Neitijärvi, and to the southern side of Siikakoski Rapids.
- There is no public transport to Ruunaa. However, a group transport service "Kimppakyyti" (lieksa.fi, in Finnish) is available between Lieksa and Ruunaa, reservations tel. int. +358 40 530 9147. This service runs all year round on Mondays. In the morning you can get from Ruunaa to Lieksa, and in the afternoon from Lieksa to Ruunaa.
- It is possible to get to the town of Lieksa by coach (matkahuolto.fi) or train (vr.fi).
Starting Points for the Excursions
- The parking areas are located at: Miikkulanvaara, the eastern bank of Haapavitja Rapids (parking for caravans and camper vans), Lake Neitijärvi, Neitikoski Rapids, Ruunaa Hiking Centre, Vastuuniemi, and the end of the road coming from the village of Hattukylä between Murrookoski and Siikakoski Rapids.
- Outside the Hiking Area at Siikakoski Rapids and Naarajoki River.
- The road to the parking areas of Neitikoski and Siikakoski are ploughed in the winter. The road 5224 to Ruunaa can be in a bad condition in the spring.
- Starting points for the trails
- Boat ramps for boaters
- Excursionmap.fi of Metsähallitus
- The snow mobile tracks of North Karelia (karttatiimi.com, in Finnish)
- The map of "Karjalan kierros" hiking trail network (vaellus.info, in Finnish)
- InfoGIS Lieksa map service (infogis.fi)
- National Land Survey of Finland map service (karttapaikka.fi)
- Koli Ruunaa Patvinsuo Petkeljärvi, water resistant outdoor map 1:25 000. Karttakeskus 2020. Map is sold for example by nature centres, Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookstores.
- Terrain map P544, 1:50 000. The map is sold by Karttakeskus and the National Land Survey of Finland.
- Maastokartat: Terrain maps nos 4332 06, 4332 08, 4332 09, 4332 11, 4332 12 and 4334 03, 1:20 000. The maps are sold by Karttakeskus, the National Land Survey of Finland and well-stocked bookstores.
- The maps of the snowmobile tracks and routes of Metsähallitus (eraluvat.fi, in Finnish)
- GT tiekartta Itä-Suomi: GT Roadmap Finland East, 2010, 1:250 000. The maps are sold by Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookstores.
- Pohjois-Karjala (North Karelia Region), water resistant map, 1:25 000, Calazo Förlag 2015. Map is sold for example by Koli Nature Centre Ukko.
Map Sales Points
- Neitikoskentie (parking area at the end of the road), Lieksa
The western side of Haapavitja
- Paasikoskentie (by the road, about 2.4 km from the Neitikoski parking area), Lieksa
- Siikakoskentie (parking area at the end of the road), Lieksa
- Neitijärventie (parking area at the end of the road), Lieksa
The eastern side of Haapavitja
- Haapavitjantie (parking area at the end of the road), Lieksa
More precise parking area addresses are not available. Parking area addresses are in Finnish to be used in navigators.
The Neitikoski and Siikakoski parking areas are available in winter, but there may be delays in snow clearance.