Leivonmäki National Park Directions and Maps
Koskikara trail is closed due to the flood.
Because of the coronavirus, safe distances should be kept even in nature, and thorough hand hygiene should be followed at huts, campfire sites and after using the toilet. Metsähallitus' policies and guidelines will be updated as the general corona guidelines become more specific. Check our website for the current situation: www.nationalparks.fi/coronavirusguidelines.
Leivonmäki National Park is located west of the main road 4, in the municipality of Joutsa.
- When coming from south, the National Park signs begin at the main road 4 (Lahti - Jyväskylä) in the centre of Leivonmäki, where you turn left to Harjunlahdentie road towards Kivisuo.
- Drive on Harjunlahdentie road for 9 km until you get to a "T" intersection.
- Turn right to Selänpohja and drive for 3,5 km. After the buildings of Selänpohja, turn right following the signs and then immediately turn again right to the parking area of the National Park.
- When coming from north, drive on the main road 4 (Lahti - Jyväskylä) through Viisarinmäki, which is a nationally valuable landscape area, and via the village of Rutalahti, following the signs to the National Park.
- In the village of Rutalahti you get to a "T" intersection, where you turn right towards Selänpohja. Drive for 1,5 km until you get to another "T" intersection.
- There turn left to Selänpohja and drive for 6 km. When you get to Selänpohja, turn left following the signs (Kansallispuisto), and then immediately turn right to the parking area of the National Park.
- If you are coming from south and going to Kirveslampi and Luupään lenkki Trail, turn left from the main road 4 (Lahti - Jyväskylä) to Harjunlahdentie road towards Kivisuo in the centre of Leivonmäki.
- Drive on Harjunlahdentie road for 6,5 km. Turn left to Vartijamäki road, and drive for 1,7 km. The starting point for the trails and the parking area are located on the left side of Vartijamäki road.
- Drive to Harjunlahdentie road for 6 km. On the right side is Harjunlahti swimming place (which is maintained by municipality of Joutsa) from where is the starting point the connection trail to Kirveslampi.
For more detailed parking area addresses, please see below under Starting Points for Excursions.
- There is no public transportation in the area during the summer. During the school terms, coaches stop at Kivisuo. During the summer, the nearest bus stops are at Leivonmäki, 12 km away.
- Timetables can be found at Matkahuolto webpage (matkahuolto.fi)
Starting Points for Excursions
- There are two parking areas in the National Park. The trails of the northern part of the Park begin from the parking area of Selänpohja (Syysniementie 1072, Joutsa) and the trails of southern part from the parking area of Kirveslampi (Vartiamäentie 1073, Joutsa). Additionally hiking can be started from Harjunlahti swimming place (Harjunlahdentie, Joutsa) (Joutsa municipality).
- More precise parking area addresses are not available. Parking area addresses are in Finnish to be used in navigators.
- Read more about the trails.
- Southern Konnevesi Leivonmäki Isojärvi Pyhä-Häkki, waterproof outdoor map 1:25 000. The maps are sold by Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookstores.
- Terrain map N431, 1:50 000. The map is sold by Karttakeskus, the National Land Survey of Finland and well-stocked bookstores.
- Maastokarttalehdet: Terrain maps, 3211 07, 08, 10 and 11, 1:20 000. The maps are sold by Karttakeskus, the National Land Survey of Finland and well-stocked bookstores.
- Retkeily GT Länsi-Suomi: GT Outdoor Map Finland West, 2015, 1:250 000. The maps are sold by Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookstores.