Evo Hiking Area Directions and Maps
Evo Hiking Area is located in Häme Region, in the town of Hämeenlinna and municipality of Padasjoki, along the road 53 (Lammi - Padasjoki). Evo is about 20 km from Lammi, 25 km from Padasjoki, 50 km from Hämeenlinna, 70 km from Lahti and 110 km from Tampere.
- Coming from the south or the north, drive on the road 53 (Lammi - Padasjoki), and follow the signs to Evo, to get to the Hiking Area.
- From the north, you can also drive via Tarus. From the road 24 (Lahti - Jämsä) turn onto Tarus road, following the sign to Iso-Tarus.
- Evo Camping Centre is located in Pitkänniemenkangas along the Rahtijärventie road. From the Evo Centre, continue for 1.4 kilometres along the Rahtijärventie road to the beginning of the Saukonojantie road, and continue along this road for 350 metres to the old airfield that serves as a parking area (map, in Finnish, PDF file, 2 313 kb).
- Niemisjärvi lakes are located along the Niemisjärventie road: turn from Padasjoentie road (no. 53) onto the Ruuhijärvi road and continue for two kilometres before turning onto Niemisjärventie road on the left. (NOTE! Electronic navigators often instruct visitors to turn onto Liesontie road to drive through Porraskoskentie, especially when arriving from the Hämeenlinna direction. This road is closed however, so the Ruuhijärventie road should always be used instead.)
For more detailed parking area addresses, please see below under Starting Points for Excursions.
There are not any public transportation to Evo.
- The nearest bus stations are located in Lammi, Hämeenlinna and Padasjoki.
- Several buses run between Hämeenlinna and Lahti every day. Some of them go via Lammi Bus Station.
- The nearest railway station is in the town of Hämeenlinna.
- Journey.fi provides information on public transportation to Evo (journey.fi)
- There are parking areas, for example, at Evo Centre (Saarelantie 1, Hämeenlinna), at Lakes Niemisjärvet, and at the starting points for the Nature Trails. The parking areas are marked in the map of Ilvesvaellus hiking trail. Evo Centre and the parking areas are good starting places for hikes.
- More precise parking area addresses are not available.
- Starting points for the trails
- Evo brochure map (Pdf-file 3.8 Mb, julkaisut.metsa.fi)
- Excursionmap.fi of Metsähallitus
- National Land Survey of Finland map service (karttapaikka.fi)
- Retkeily GT Etelä-Suomi: GT Outdoor Map Finland South, 1:250 000. Karttakeskus 2019. The maps are sold by Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookstores.
- Terrain maps M413, M414 and M432, 1:50 000. Maps are sold by Karttakeskus and the National Land Survey of Finland.
- Evo Päijänne Ilvesvaellus vedenkestävä ulkoilukartta, 2017: Waterproof map of Evo Ilvesvaellus hiking trail and Päijänne National Park, 1:25 000. Karttakeskus 2017. The map is sold by Päijännehouse and Karttakeskus.
- Maastokartat: Terrain maps 2134 05, 06, 08 and 09, 1:20 000. Maps are sold by Karttakeskus and the National Land Survey of Finland.
- Evo & Päijänne, waterproof map, 1:25 000, Calazo Förlag 2016. Map is sold for example by Päijänne House (Päijännetalo).