Haapasaari Nature Information Hut
At Haapasaari Nature Information Hut visitors can learn about the Gulf of Finland National Park as well as Suursaari Island, Tytärsaari Islands, Peninsaari Island, Seiskari Island and Lavansaari Island which are all situated on the Russian side of the Gulf of Finland.
There is no staff at the nature information hut. The doors are open during the day in June - August.
There is no entrance fee to the nature information hut.
- More information on Haapasaari Nature Information Hut is available at Maretarium (www.maretarium.fi).
Haapasaari Nature Information Hut is managed by Metsähallitus.
Haapasaari Island is situated on the north side of the Gulf of Finland National Park. Haapasaari Nature Information Hut is housed in the island's old school. The nature information hut can be reached only by water.
By Own Boat
- When coming by boat to the nature information hut dock your boat at the public pier (60° 17,3' 27° 11,9'), which is about 200 m from the nature information hut. Boaters may overnight at the pier for a fee.
By Public Transportation
- There is regular boat service (www.visitkotkahamina.fi) to Haapasaari Island from the town of Kotka.
The nature information hut is located in a classroom in the island's old school building. The school was open from 1890 to 1973 and had at best 50 children there. Today the building is for the most part used as an exhibition space and as a school camp centre.
Rajatapaus - Permanent Exhibition
The Gulf of Finland is on the edge of Fennoscandia. Haapasaari Island is a gateway to the south and east, which is obvious from the island's natural features and its culture more so than at other islands.
1. International nature reserve, a national park in the border region.
2. The dramatic change in the soil and earth around the Gulf of Finland
3. The boundaries of sea basin, mainland and international laws.
4. Environmental problems
5. Cooperation between countries bordering the Gulf of Finland
At the nature information hut visitors learn about the Gulf of Finland National Park as well as Suursaari Island, Tytärsaari Islands, Peninsaari Island, Seiskari Island and Lavansaari Island which are all situated on the Russian side of the border. The exhibit also offers information on the area's soil, as well as the over-fertilization of the Gulf of Finland and other environmental problems. There is a small reference library, where visitors can for example check what bird species they have just seen.
Services in Haapasaari
There is a shop on Haapasaari Island. At the shop there is a fuel distribution point. There is also a Coast Guard station / passport inspection point on the island.