Visit the Kuusisto Bishop's Castle Ruins
Check for Warnings
When forest and grass fire warnings (en.ilmatieteenlaitos.fi) are in effect, fire is only allowed at covered campfire sites that have a flue. A fire can be also lit in fireplaces at wilderness and other huts. Always use extreme caution when handling fire. The one who lights a fire is always responsible for its safe use. Please note, that making fire at these campfire sites can be banned locally.
Gathering at the campfire sites increases the risk of coronavirus infection. Guidelines concerning coronavirus COVID-19.
The Kuusisto Bishop's Castle ruins are open to visitors free of charge all year round. The site is not staffed and there is no winter maintenance.
- Address of the site: Linnanrauniontie 633, Kaarina
- Metsähallitus is responsible for the maintenance and management of the castle ruins.
- Telephone: +358 206 39 4620
- E-mail: rannikko(at)metsa.fi
- A notification must be submitted to Metsähallitus of any events organised at the site: instructions and a form (metsa.fi)
- Research and other activities not covered by the "Right of Public Access" (also known as "Everyman's rights" in Finland, and the "Right to Roam" in the UK) requires permission from the landowner: instructions and form (metsa.fi).
Directions and Maps
Located by the archipelago ring road Saariston Rengastie , about 9 km from central Kaarina. Address: Linnanrauniontie 633, Kaarina.
Turn off the Helsinki–Turku road (no. 110) to Saaristotie road (no. 180) in Kaarina. Travel for two kilometres and turn left to Linnanrauniontie road, drive on for 7.5 km to a parking area to the left of the road. The Kuusisto Bishop's Castle ruins are a 700 m walk away.
The Kuusisto Bishop's Castle ruins are accessible by boat. The jetty is on the northern shore (N 60° 06.50' E 22° 18,7', WGS84 ). The depth by the jetty is around two metres.
From Turku, public transport service by Föli, Turku Region Traffic, on weekdays to the parking area by the castle ruins.
Buses 801/27.A and 27.2 from Turku (vainionliikenne.fi) to the bus stop (no. 6213) by the junction of Saaristotie and Linnanrauniontie roads. At this junction, change to Kaarina traffic line K2 on the Linnanrauniontie road. This line terminates at the Kuusisto Manor parking area. From here, there is a 700-metre walk to the castle ruins. Please note! The K2 (foli.fi, in finnish) service is available from Monday to Friday, but not on weekends .
On the way to Turku, the Kuusisto bus stop on Saaristotie road is no. 6214.
Journey.fi provides information on public transportation to Kuusisto (journey.fi)
The castle ruins are a short distance away from the Saariston Rengastie road. Turn off the Helsinki–Turku road (no. 110) to Saaristotie road (no. 180) in Kaarina. Travel for two kilometres and turn left onto the Linnanrauniontie road, drive on for 8.2 km to the castle ruin.
While you travel on the Saariston Rengastie road, you can also stop by the Lenholm Nature Reserve (in Finnish)
- Retkeily GT Etelä-Suomi: GT Outdoor Map Finland South, 1:250 000. Karttakeskus 2019. Maps are for sale e.g. from Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookshops.
- Nautical chart series B (2012) and D (2014), 1:50 000, Finnish Transport Agency. Maps are for sale e.g. at Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookshops.