Customer Service and Guidance
- Oulanka Visitor Centre
- Guidance, introductions, exhibitions, information on hiking in Oulanka and Riisitunturi National Parks and the surrounding areas, maps can be bought.
- Café Puistokahvila in the Visitor Centre sells souvenirs and picnic food. Groups can get meals in the café by reservation.
- Kuusamo Customer Service Karhuntassu
- Guidance and information on hiking, maps and hunting and fishing permits can be bought.
- There are Kuusamo Info and a café in the same building.
Services Offered by Enterprises and Other Organisations in Riisitunturi National Park
Following enterprises and other organisations offer services in the national park. They have a cooperation agreement with Metsähallitus and they follow the principles of sustainable nature tourism when operating in national park.
Meals, Where to Buy and Prepare
Cafés, Restaurants and Shops
- In Tolva village in the former school building is café Korpihilla (Delicacy Shop) (www.korpihilla.fi, in Finnish).
- Catering services can be got by reservation in the tourism enterprises of Tolva, more information can be got on the website of the municipality of Posio (posiolapland.com).
Campfire Sites and Huts
There are six campfire sites along Riisitunturi Trail:
- At Riisitunturi Open Wilderness Hut, at Karitunturi Day Trip Hut ans Ahmatupa Open Wilderness Hut. More information on the huts from Oulanka Visitor Centre, tel.int. +358 206 39 6850.
- At the lean-to shelters of Soilu, Uusipuro, Kuoppavaara, Liittolampi and Koljat.
Lighting campfires is not allowed when the forest fire warning is in effect.
- It is recommended that hikers fill up water bottles at the customer service points. There are only small lakes in the National Park. A brook runs from the humid hillslopes and spring areas. The water has not been tested, so drinking water taken from the lakes or the brook is at hiker's own risk. It is advisable to boil the water before drinking.
- There are no waste-bins in the forest. Measures should be taken in advance to avoid taking unnecessary waste into the area. Of the waste that accumulates during your trip, you can use campfire sites to burn those articles which can safely be burnt, and leave biodegradable waste in the dry toilets. Take all other waste out of the area. Read more about Hiking without littering.
- Along Riisitunturi Trail, there are dry toilets at the lean-to shelter of Soilu, at Riisitunturi Open Wilderness Hut, at the lean-to shelters of Uusilampi, Liittolampi and Kuoppavaara, and at Karitunturi Day Trip Hut.
Camping and Lean-to Shelters
- Soilu lean-to shelter, 3,0 km from Noukavaara starting point.
- Uusilampi lean-to shelter, 7,4 km from Noukavaara starting point and 7,3 km from Riisitunturi starting point.
- Liittolampi lean-to shelter, 11,4 km from Noukavaara and 8,5 km from Riisitunturi starting points and 11,6 km from Kirintövaara.
- Kuoppavaara lean-to-shelter.
- It is possible to camp in the immediate vicinity of Riisitunturi Open Wilderness Hut and Karitunturi Day Trip Hut. Karitunturi Day Trip Hut is located 22,6 km from Noukavaara and 20 km from Riisitunturi starting points and 6,2 km from Kirintövaara.
Open Wilderness Hut
- Riisitunturi Open Wilderness Hut is located 4,6 km from Noukavaara starting point and 1,5 km from Riisitunturi starting point. More information from Oulanka Visitor Centre, tel.int. +358 206 39 6850.
Lodging in the Surrounding Area
- There are about twenty rental cabins of Metsähallitus in Posio.
- Information on other accommodation options and travel services can be found on the website of the municipality of Posio (posiolapland.com).
- There is a hotel at Kirintövaara (www.kirikeskus.fi).
- There are enterprises in the town of Kuusamo (www.ruka.fi) renting hiking equipment.
- In Posio (posiolapland.com), ask the tourist information office to find out about enterprises which rent equipment.
Services for the Disabled
- There are no special services for the disabled in the area.
Other Services in the Surrounding Area
- The village of Tolva is the nearest place to find a taxi. There you can also buy fishing permits, and find washing and accommodation possibilities.
- In the centre of the municipality of Posio (www.posio.fi, in Finnish), about 20 km away, you can find the nearest bank, health centre, pharmacy and public telephone. Posio Lapland travelling pages (posiolapland.com).
- The sights of the Posio include Lake Livojärvi with its surroundings, Korouoma Gorge, and Kirintövaara Hill. The sights of Kuusamo include Rukatunturi Fell (www.ruka.fi), Valtavaara Hill and Oulanka National Park.