Käsivarsi Wilderness Area
- Skiers at Kilpisjärvi. Photo: Seija Olkkonen
- Käsivarsi Wilderness Area. Photo: Tapani Vartiainen
- Snowmobilers at the Käsivarsi Wilderness Area. Photo: Jari Ylläsjärvi
- Porojärvi Open Wilderness Hut. Photo: Olli Vainio
- Skiers at the Nordkalottleden Trail. Photo: Olli Vainio
Finland's wild northwestern arm – Käsivarsi – has the country's most mountainous scenery. Halti Fell, the highest peak in Finland, can be reached all year round along the challenging Nordkalottleden Trail. A shorter walk from Kilpisjärvi village takes you to the top of the iconic Saana Fell. Rare arctic and mountain plants and animals thrive amid Käsivarsi's splendid scenery. Grayling and arctic charr rise to the bait in the region's fine fishing waters.