Kvarken Archipelago is located between the town of Vaasa in Finland and the town of Umeå in Sweden. On the Finnish side, the islands of Kvarken belong to six municipalities. The protected areas on Kvarken are mostly located in the outer archipelago, but there are also some on the islands near the mainland, connected by bridges, or even on the mainland, near the town centre of Vaasa.
Information about guestharbours and boat launching ramps in the area you can find at www.vierassatamat.fi
- The islands of Replot and Västerö can be reached by car:
- The villages of Björköby, Panike, Södra Vallgrund and Sommarö, which belong to the municipality of Korsholm, are located on the island of Replot. To get there, drive north from the town centre of Vaasa on road 724 towards Replot.
- To get to Västerö, in the municipality of Maxmo, drive on the main road 8 (Vaasa - Oulu) until you get to Kaitsor, and then turn onto road 7263 to Österö. Västerö is along this road, about 25 km from Kaitsor.
By Public Transportation
- There are no regular ferry services inside the area. However, the large islands near the mainland can be reached by car.
- The coach services to the islands leave from the town of Vaasa.
- To the town of Vaasa, there are good connections by coach, train or aeroplane. In addition, there is a year-round ferry service between the towns of Vaasa and Umeå in Sweden.
- From the town of Vaasa, there are coach services on weekdays to Replot Island and to the villages of Björköby, Panike and Södra Vallgrund, which belong to the municipality of Korsholm, and to Björkby which belongs to the municipality of Malax.
- There is a nature trail in the old-growth forest of Öjen in Vaasa, at walking distance (4 km) from the town centre. There are also bus services on weekdays. The bus stop at Myrgrund intersection is near the starting point of the trail, which is by the information board on the parking area.
By Passenger Boat Service
Starting Points for Excursions
- The local fishing harbours in the villages are suitable starting points for boat trips. All of them have boat launch ramps. The fishing harbours are marked in the GT road map of the area, and in the Forest map.
- Without a boat, you can make trips to Björköby and Södra Vallgrund, which belong to the municipality of Korsholm, to Västerö which belongs to the municipality of Maxmo, and to Bergö which belong to the municipality of Malax.
- Starting points for trails.