Ukko-Luosto Scenic Hut, Day Trip Hut
Day Trip Hut with scenic views.
Location, Maps and Description
Eastern Lapland, Municipality of Sodankylä, Pyhä-Luosto National Park.
Ukko-Luosto Scenic Hut, coordinates Euref-Fin (~ WGS84) lat: 67° 09.433' lon: 26° 52.981' ETRS-TM35FIN: N: 7448908 E: 494936
Ukko-Luosto Scenic Hut is a day trip hut that also houses a permanent exhibition "Lightscapes of a Fell" telling about the light phenomena in the north. The hut is situated on the northern slope of Ukko-Luosto Fell along marked trails. Summer trails: The Summit of Ukko-Luosto Fell (marked with blue), Luosto Nature Hiking Trail (marked with green). Winter trails: Luosto-Torvisen Maja snowshoeing trail (marked in early winter with blue plow marker sticks).
Marked trails near Pyhä and Luosto Villages: summer trails (.pdf) and winter trails (.pdf).
The hut has been built in 2022 and not yet appears on printed maps. Maps of the area:
Pyhä Luosto kartta, 1:25 000, Calazo 2018
Pyhä-Luosto ulkoilukartta, 1:25 000, Karttakeskus 2020
- Heating: basic heating, a stove.
- Cooking: the stove has no hotplate. There are no cooking utensils.
- Water: there is no water source in the vicinity of the hut.
- Other facilities: there is a separate building with a vacuum toilet (bring your own toilet paper) and a woodshed.
- The hut, the exhibition and the toilet are accessible. The trail to the hut is not accessible and has big height differences.
- Pets are permitted in the hut, but only if other visitors agree with this.
- We recommend you bring your own first-aid kit.
- There is lighting in the hut, but on the trail you need your own light source when it is dark. We recommend a head torch.
Every visitor must bring their own waste out of the area. Read more about Hiking Without Littering.
Maintenance and Management
Metsähallitus, Parks & Wildlife Finland. For more information contact Pyhä-Luosto Visitor Centre Naava, tel. int. +358 206 39 7302.
Tourist entrepreneurs operating in national parks or other areas managed by Metsähallitus need a cooperation agreement. A fee is charged for using the routes and service infrastructure for business activities.