Telkkämäki Nature Reserve Instructions and Rules
Instructions on Exploring Telkkämäki Nature Reserve
In the Nature Reserve, the following are
- hiking and skiing except in possible restricted areas.
- during summer animals graze in fenced areas with their offspring. People should not stray into their territory. Because of the farm animals the gate, which is on the road from the parking area to the farmhouse, must be kept closed.
- picking berries and edible mushrooms.
- lighting campfires
- letting pets run at large
- taking or damaging trees, bushes, other plants or their parts, or mushrooms other than edible ones
- damaging soil or rock, and extraction of earth material or minerals
- killing, catching or disturbing wild vertebrates, or damaging their nests
- catching or collecting invertebrates
- driving moose is allowed with a Metsähallitus permit
- driving motor vehicles, except on roads designated for motor vehicles
- leaving waste in the area, or damaging constructions.
Mobile Phone Coverage
- Although Finland has a broad network for mobile phones, there are areas in Telkkämäki where the signal does not reach. Especially the lowest parts of the area and parts surrounded by cliffs have poor signals. Phones work best at high or open places. It may be worth removing the SIM card from your phone and then trying again to make emergency call. Different phones also differ in their coverage.
- We recommend that you keep your mobile phone warm at all times and take along food and drink. Certain phone models do not work when the temperature falls below zero. You should therefore let someone know your planned route. To keep your mobile phone charged, bring along a spare power source, a spare battery or an old phone with a working battery.
Equipment and Safety
- The trails at Telkkämäki lead through undemanding terrain. Trainers are therefore suitable footwear for hikes. There are many ticks in the area, so tick pliers are good to have along.
- If you face an emergency on your hike, e.g. get lost, get injured or observe wildfire, call 112 and report an emergency. More information on how to act in an emergency.
- Make sure you pack a first-aid kit.
- Hiking in Finland
112 Suomi - mobile application
When an emergency call is being made through the 112 Suomi - mobile application (112.fi) the dispatcher will automatically receive the callers position.
It is recommended to keep the mobile phone warm and to bring extra food and water with you. There are many excursion locations with no mobile coverage and some mobile phones does not work in sub-zero temperatures, that is why it is always a good idea to let someone know about your itinerary and timetable.