Tammakkolampi Rental Turf Hut
Rental turf hut for 2 persons
Suitable for overnight stays for hikers with good navigation skills. The hut is located in the Urho Kekkonen National Park's wilderness zone, which has no marked trails. The nearest shops and restaurants are located in Saariselkä. The turf hut was built in 1967. Northeast of Kopsusnokka by the River Suomujoki you will find the old Suomunruoktu hut, which is a historical attraction. The distance to the hut is about 2.5 km.
- Northern Lapland, Municipality of Sodankylä (sodankyla.fi, in Finnish), Urho Kekkonen National Park.
- Tammakkolampi rental turf hut, coordinates: Euref-Fin (~ WGS84) lat: 68° 14.572' lon: 27° 34.208' ETRS-TM35FIN: N: 7570051 E: 523584 WGS84 lat: 68.24287 lon: 27.57013.
- The hut is situated at the head waters of the River Suomujoki, 12 km south, south-east of Kiilopää Fell.
- Suitable for overnight stays for hikers and groups with good navigation skills. The hut is located in the Urho Kekkonen National Park's wilderness zone, which has no marked trails. The nearest shops and restaurants are located in Saariselkä and in Ivalo.
- You can get to the hut on foot or by skis from several starting points (pdf 659kt). The distance from Kiilopää is ca. 21 km and from Saariselkä ca. 34 km.
- The closest huts are the Suomunruoktu open and reservable wilderness hut and the Tuiskukuru open and reservable wilderness hut.
- A sleeping platform, matresses and pillows.
- A wood-burning stove, a gas cooker, a saucepan, and a frying pan.
- A campfire site, a dry toilet and a woodshed.
- There is a smoke alarm in the hut, but we recommend bringing your own device with you.
- Take own candles, toilet paper and headlamp with you.
- Household water is taken from the lake Kopsuslampi.
- The customer shall have payment receipt and hut reservation confirmation along in order to show proof of reservation and its payment.
- The hut is not suited for the disabled.
- Please note that it takes some time before the hut is properly warm.
- When leaving the hut, remember that it has to be clean and ready for the next customers.
You can camp by the campfire sites.
The route includes some river crossings. There are bridges by the River Suomujoki at Aitaoja, Kotaköngäs, and Porttikoski and by the River Luttojoki at Raja-Jooseppi. The wading cable is located by the River Nuorttijoki some 300 metres upstream from the Kärekeoja hut.
- Pets are not permitted in the hut.
- Make sure you pack a first-aid kit.
- From the March to September is possible to stay in the hut maximum two nights in a row and from October to February maximum 7 nights in a row.
- There is a recycling point at the reservable turf hut. Hikers are however adviced to bring their own waste out of the area. Read more about Hiking Without Littering.
- Urho Kekkonen National Park map.
- Urho Kekkosen kansallispuisto outdoor map, 1:100 000.
- Saariselkä - Sokosti outdoor map, 1:50 000.
- Terrain map V512, 1:50 000.
Maintenance and Management
- Metsähallitus, Parks & Wildlife Finland.
- For more information contact Urho Kekkonen National Park Customer Service Kiehinen tel. int. +358 206 39 7200.