Syöte National Park is located north of road 20 (Oulu - Kuusamo main road), about 60 km from Pudasjärvi to north.
- From Oulu and Pudasjärvi directions: The road 858 to Iso-Syöte turns from the main road 20, about 30 km after Pudasjärvi when going to towards Kuusamo. There is a sign to the National Park at the fork of the road, and the distance to the National Park from there is 28 km.
- When coming from Kuusamo towards south, turn at Taivalkoski to Posio, road 863, and drive 19 km. In the village of Virkkunen, turn to the road 862, from there it is 18 km to Iso-Syöte.
The edges of different parts of the park, and the starting points of many trails can be reached by car. More information from Syöte Visitor Centre.
By Public Transportation
- In the ski season, usually until 31 May, a coach operates from Oulu and from Pudasjärvi to the Syöte resorts on weekdays. In addition, transport is arranged from Oulu (the ski buses) at weekends. By hopping on the local ski bus, you can travel from the hotels and from the nearby area to the visitor centre or close to (walking distance) the front slopes of Iso-Syöte. Please see timetables and prices (www.syote.fi).
- On schooldays, two coaches operate between Pudasjärvi and Syötekylä. Take a look at the timetables on (www.matkahuolto.fi).
- The coach stops by the visitor centre, when necessary.
- Journey.fi provides information on public transportation to Syöte (www.journey.fi)
Travelling by Muscle Power to the Syöte Visitor Centre
- By skis along the ski trails, which run by the visitor centre.
- On foot or by bicycle along the pedestrian and bicycle route that runs from the foot of the front slopes of Iso-Syöte to the visitor centre.
- Along the fairly demanding marked trail (2.2 km) that starts from Iso-Syöte Hotel.
Starting Points for Excursions
- In the Syöte region, the parking areas are located by the Syöte Visitor Centre, by the forest roads of Nuukavaara (Jaaskamo), Toraslehto (Lomaoja) and Ukonvaara, as well as in the Maaselkä area. There is also a connecting trail to the park from the Ruuhensuo, Lauttalampi and Kellarilampi parking areas. The parking areas of the visitor centre, Kellarilampi and Maaselkä are maintained in winter.
- There are two parking areas in the Salmitunturi area by the Pyhitysvaara forest road. In addition, there is additional parking space at a distance of about 750 metres before the starting point for Pyhitys Hill.
- Starting points for the trails.
- Syöte day trails, Guide and Map. Metsähallitus 2009. Maps free of charge from Syöte Visitor Centre.
- Syöte biking routes, Guide and Map. Metsähallitus 2009. Maps free of charge from Syöte Visitor Centre.
- Syöte National Park, Canoeing Guide-Map. Metsähallitus 2009. Maps free of charge from Syöte Visitor Centre
- Terrain maps S512, S514, S521, S523, 1:50 000. The maps are sold by well-stocked bookstores, Karttakeskus and the National Land Survey of Finland.
- Grundkartor S5124, S5142, S5213, S5231, 1:25 000. The maps are sold by well-stocked bookstores, Karttakeskus and the National Land Survey of Finland.
- Syöte - Pudasjärvi / Taivalkoski - Kylmäluoma outdoor map, 1:50 000. (2008). The nearest map sales points are Syöte Visitor Centre and the customer service points of the tourist centres in Syöte.
- Peruskarttalehdet numero: Base maps nos 3532 12, 3541 07-12, 3542 10, 3543 01- 02, 3543 05-08, 1:20 000. Maps are sold by Karttakeskus and the National Land Survey of Finland.
- Terrain maps 3532, 3541, 3542, 3543, 1:50 000. The maps are sold by well-stocked bookstores, Karttakeskus and the National Land Survey of Finland.
- Outdoor GT Northern Finland, 2016, 1:400 000. Map is sold by Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookstores.
Map Sales Points