Sallatunturi Area Directions and Maps
The Sallatunturi Area's network of trails is located to the south and to the east of road 82 (Salla - Kemijärvi).
- Coach (matkahuolto.fi) routes in the area include Salla - Kuusamo, Salla - Kemijärvi and Salla - Savukoski.
- Paikanselkä bus stop is on road 82 (Salla - Kemijärvi) about 0,5 km from the starting point for Salmijoki Ravine Trail.
- On the Salla - Kuusamo coach route there is a stop at Sallatunturi ski centre.
- Another good option is the get off the coach in Salla Village from where you can get onto the area's trails.
- Journey.fi provides information on public transportation to Sallatunturi (opas.matka.fi)
Visitors can get to the starting points for trails in the Sallatunturi Area not only from Salla, but also from Kemijärvi, Kuusamo and Savukoski.
- The most popular starting points in the Sallatunturi Area are located by the side of road 950 (Salla - Kuusamo). Salla Village is about 10 km from the Sallatunturi ski centre and about 14 km from Kaunisharju parking area.
- Hikers can get onto the UKK Hiking Trail from Sallatunturi and from Vilma forest road on the south side of Ruuhitunturi Fell. To get to this starting point take road 950 (Salla - Kuusamo) from Salla and follow it 24 km. Then turn west/right at Kallunkijärvi and drive along the forest road for 7,5 km. You can leave your car on a wider portion of the road near the starting point for UKK Hiking Trail.
- To get to Salmijoki Ravine from main road 82 (Kemijärvi - Salla). Take road 82 from Salla Village and follow it for about 7 km towards Kemijärvi. Then turn onto a forest road with a sign to Salmijoen kuru (Salmijoki Ravine). Follow the forest road for about 5 km. You can leave your car on a wider portion of the road. The forest road is not cleared of snow on a regular basis during winter.
- Hikers may leave their cars in Salla Village centre from where there are connecting routes to the Sallatunturi Area's trails during winter and summer.
- Driving directions to Pyhä-Luosto Visitor and Culture Centre Naava.
Starting Points for Excursions
- Parking areas for the Salla area trails are located at Kaunisharju Ridge beside road 950 (Salla - Kuusamo), at Salla Reindeer Park and at Salla Ski Resort.
- Starting points for trails are listed on the trails page and starting points for the UKK Hiking Trail (Hautajärvi - Kelloselkä) are given on its own route description page.
- Excursionmap.fi of Metsähallitus
- Salla maps (visitsalla.fi)
- Salla Area hiking trails (visitsalla.fi, in Finnish)
- Salla Area ski trails (visitsalla.fi, in Finnish)
- Salla Area snowmobile trails and tracks (visitsalla.fi, in Finnish)
- National Land Survey of Finland map service (maanmittauslaitos.fi)
- Salla - Savukoski Outdoor Map, 1:100 000, Karttakeskus 2016. The map is sold by the National Land Survey of Finland, Savukoksi Visitor Centre Korvatunturi, Pyhä-Luosto Visitor ccentre Naava.
- Salla hiking trails map, 1:30 000, Maanmittauslaitos. The map is sold by the National Land Survey of Finland.
- Salla address and recreation map 1:100 000. Maanmittauslaitos 2004. The map is sold by the National Land Survey of Finland and by well-stocked bookstores.
- Cycling map GT6 Lapland, 1:400 000 Karttakeskus 2005. The map is sold by the Karttakeskus and by well-stocked bookstores.
- Terrain maps T524, Salla, 1:50 000, 2006. The maps are sold by the Karttakeskus and the National Land Survey of Finland.
- GT tiekartta Pohjois-Suomi: GT Roadmap Finland North, 2013, 1:400 000. The maps are sold by Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookstores.