Riisitunturi National Park Directions and Maps
Riisitunturi National Park is located about 20 km, about 60 km from Kuusamo and about 35 km from Rukatunturi. The nearest villages are Tolva, Suonnankylä and Keski-Kitka.
Riisitunturi starting point is 1,2 km from Tolvantie road / Syrjälahti and about 6 km from Tolva Village. Google maps -location.
- From Kuusamo it is about 67 km to the National Park.
- Drive north on road 5 (E63) for about 10 km. Turn left onto the road Rovaniementie (nr 81) then drive about 38 km, turn to the right to road Patosalmentie (nr 9471) and drive 18 km. Arrival to Syrjälahti parking area on the left side of the road. Turn right and drive the graveled road 1,2 km to the parking area.
- From Posio it is about 30 km to Riisitunturi.
- Drive towards Kuusamo for about 15 km and turn left onto Tolvantie road nr 9471. From the fork of the road, it is about 19 km to Riisitunturi starting point. Google maps -location.
- From Rukatunturi / Ruka area it is 35 km drive to Riisitunturi National Park.
- Drive to road 5 (nro 5 / E63) towards Kemijärvi (north) 6.5 km, turn to left Alakitkantie road and drive about 12 km. After that turn left to Tolvantie road (nro 3471). Drive about 13 km and turn to a forest road and drive 1.2 km to the parking area of the nationa park. There are national park's traffic signs near the crossroad. Google maps -location.
Kirintövaara starting point is along road 81 (Kuusamo - Posio - Rovaniemi).
- To Kirintövaara starting point, drive 11 km from Posio, and turn left towards Kirintövaara.
- The nearest airport (finnair.com) is in the town of Kuusamo.
- The nearest railway station is at Kemijärvi, about 130 km from the National Park. By train (vr.fi) you can get to Kemijärvi, Rovaniemi and Oulu.
- There are daily coach connections (matkahuolto.fi) from Rovaniemi and Kuusamo to Posio. The coach service between Posio and Kuusamo stops closest to the National Park.
Starting Points for Excursions
- The parking areas are located at Riisitunturi and Kirintövaara starting points. Kirintövaara starting point is nearby Hotel Kirintö.
- Noukavaara starting point is no longer in use.
- Starting Points for Trails: summer hiking trails starting points and winter trails' starting points.
- Riisitunturi brochure map (Pdf-file 2.8 Mb, julkaisut.metsa.fi)
- Excursionmap.fi of Metsähallitus
- Maps on the website of the municipality of Posio (posiolapland.com)
- National Land Survey of Finland map service (www.karttapaikka.fi)
- Terrain map T513 Ala-Kitka, 1:50 000. Maps are sold by Karttakeskus, the National Land Survey of Finland and well-stocked bookshops.
- Posio, The Magic of Lapland, Tourism Map, 1:100 000. Posion matkailuyhdistys (Tourist Association) 2012.
- Peruskarttalehdet: Base maps 3533 04, 3633 07, 3633 08, 4611 04 and 4611 05, 1:20 000. Maps are sold by Karttakeskus, the National Land Survey of Finland and well-stocked bookshops.
- Outdoor GT Northern Finland, 2016, 1:400 000. Map is sold by Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookstores.
- Kuusamo Waterproof Outdoor Map, 1:100 000, Karttakeskus 2017. The map is sold by Oulanka Visitor Centre and Kuusamo Customer Service Karhuntassu, Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookstores.