Pyhä-Häkki National Park Directions and Maps
Because of the coronavirus, safe distances should be kept even in nature, and thorough hand hygiene should be followed at huts, campfire sites and after using the toilet. Metsähallitus' policies and guidelines will be updated as the general corona guidelines become more specific. Check our website for the current situation: www.nationalparks.fi/coronavirusguidelines.
Pyhä-Häkki National Park is located west of the main road 4, about 85 km north-west from the town of Jyväskylä. Road 6510 (Saarijärvi - Viitasaari) goes through the Park.
- When Coming from South:
- From the main road 4, about 6 km before the town centre of Äänekoski turn left to the main road 13 (Viitasaarentie 2119).
- From the main road 13 in Saarijärvi centre there are signs to Pyhä-Häkki National Park.
- Follow the signs and drive 22 km to the parking area of the park which is on the left side of the road 6510 (Viitasaarentie 2119, Saarijärvi). Please be careful, the road is in bad shape.
- When Coming from North:
- From the main road 4, about 4 km after the town centre of Viitasaari turn right, to the road 77 towards Kannonkoski. Drive 10 km and then turn left, onto the road 6510 towards Saarijärvi.
- Drive 25 km until you get to the parking area of the National Park, on the right side of the road (Viitasaarentie 2119, Saarijärvi).
By Public Transportation
- Pyhä-Häkki National Park cannot be reached by public transportation. The nearest bus connections are to Saarijärvi and Viitasaari, which are 22 km and 39 km from the park.
- To Saarijärvi, there is a coach service from the towns of Jyväskylä, Kokkola and Vaasa.
The coaches running on the main road 4 stop at Viitasaari. There are coach connections to
- Viitasaari from, for example, Helsinki, Jyväskylä, Kajaani, Oulu, Pihtipudas and Rovaniemi.
Starting Points for Excursions
- The parking area and the information point of the National Park are by the side of the Saarijärvi - Viitasaari road, on the west side, 22 km from Saarijärvi and 39 km from Viitasaari (Viitasaarentie 2119, Saarijärvi).
- Parking area address is in Finnish to be used in navigators.
- The trails of the National Park start at the parking area by the information point.
- Starting Points for Trails
- Pyhä-Häkki brochure map (Pdf-file 1.5 Mb, julkaisut.metsa.fi)
- Excursionmap.fi of Metsähallitus
- National Land Survey of Finland map service (kansalaisen.karttapaikka.fi)
- Southern Konnevesi Leivonmäki Isojärvi Pyhä-Häkki, waterproof outdoor map 1:25 000. Karttakeskus 2019. The map is sold by Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookstores.
- Terrain map P431, 1:50 000. Map is sold by Karttakeskus, the National Land Survey of Finland and well-stocked bookstores.
- Maastokartat: Terrain maps, nos 2244 11 Häkkilä, 2244 12 Pyhä-Häkki National Park and 3222 03 Heinäpohja, 1: 20 000. Maps are sold by Karttakeskus, the National Land Survey of Finland and well-stocked bookstores.
- Saarijärven latureitit: Saarijärvi skiing trails, 1:30 000, 2004. Skiing trail map can be picked up at the town hall of Saarijärvi.
- Retkeily GT Länsi-Suomi: GT Outdoor Map Finland West, 2015, 1:250 000. The maps are sold by Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookstores.
Map Sales Points
- Viitasaarentie 2119, Saarijärvi
Parking area address is in Finnish to be used in navigators.