Oulujärvi Hiking Area Directions and Maps
Because of the coronavirus, safe distances should be kept even in nature, and thorough hand hygiene should be followed at huts, campfire sites and after using the toilet. Metsähallitus' policies and guidelines will be updated as the general corona guidelines become more specific. Check our website for the current situation: www.nationalparks.fi/coronavirusguidelines.
- Oulujärvi Hiking Area is located 80 km west of Kajaani, 150 km east of Oulu and 450 km north of Helsinki. Finland is often referred to as Maiden of Finland because of the shape of the country on the map. Oulujärvi Hiking Area is found at the Maiden of Finland's waist.
- It is about 80 km to Lake Oulujärvi from the town of Kajaani, and about 50 km from the municipality of Vaala. From the road 22 (Oulu - Kajaani), you can get to Manamansalo Island along the road 8822 to Petäjälahti, or via Alassalmi ferry from the southern side of the lake. The ferry, which during the summer operates at least every 30 minutes, is an unforgettable experience especially for children.
- If you are coming to Manamansalo by car and using navigator, please, use the address Teeriniementie 156, 88340 Manamansalo.
- The camping ground of Manamansalo has a boat harbour which serves visitors in the hiking area.
- There are coach services to Manamansalo from the town of Kajaani and the municipality of Vaala. The timetables (matkahuolto.fi).
- Matka.fi provides information on public transportation to Oulujärvi (matka.fi).
Starting Points for the Excursions
- Excursionmap.fi of Metsähallitus
- National Land Survey of Finland map Service (karttapaikka.fi)
- Destination Brochure (julkaisut.metsa.fi)
- Maastokartat Terrain maps Q522 Kajaani, R433 Vaala, R511 Osmankajärvi, 1:50 000. Maps are sold by well-stocked bookstores, Karttakeskus and the National Land Survey of Finland.
- Peruskartta Terrain map Q5221 Ärjänsaari, 1:25 000. Maps are sold by well-stocked bookstores, Karttakeskus and the National Land Survey of Finland.
- Manamansalo - Oulujärvi Hiking Area -brochure, which is available from Manamansalo camping ground, from the tourist offices of the surrounding municipalities, and from Metsähallitus customer service points.
- Brochure Manamansalo - the camping ground and the recreational fishing area. The brochure is available from Manamansalo camping ground.
- Outdoor map Vuokatti ja Kainuun kansallispuistot (Vuokatti and Kainuu National Parks), 1:25 000. Karttakeskus 2015. Map is sold by Karttakeskus, Kuhmo Visitor Centre Petola and well-stocked bookstores.
- Maastokartat Terrain maps, 1:20 000, nos 3432 10, 3432 02, 3432 03, 3414 11, 3414 12. The maps are sold by Karttakeskus, the National Land Survey of Finland, and well-stocked bookstores.
- Maastokartat Terrain maps 3423 Utajärvi, 3432 Paltaniemi, 3414 Keskilä, 1:50 000. Maps are sold by well-stocked bookstores, Karttakeskus and the National Land Survey of Finland.
- Merenkulkulaitoksen järvialueen merikartta T Oulujärvi: Finnish Maritime Adminstration's Chart series of Inland Waterways T Lake Oulu, 1:40 000, 2000. The charts are sold by Karttakeskus and well-stocked bookstores.
- GT Outdoormap Eastern Finland, 2014, 1:250 000. Maps are sold by Karttakeskus och well-stocked bookstores.